1752493 Members
5405 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is VLAN 4095 valid on a trunk

BBloksma
Occasional Advisor

Is VLAN 4095 valid on a trunk

In VMware port 4095 is sometimes used to simply forward all VLANs including the tag info to the VM. I have several trunks in use on my sites and most times I just need a subset on the next switch. But sometimes I just want all VLAN traffic on the first switch to be available on the second switch.

Right now all I can think about is to simply create the trunk and then add each and every VLAN tagged to the trunk. Would adding VLAN 4095 work in this case?

So in stead of:
trunk 46-48 trk1 trunk
vl 9 tag trk1
vl 10 tag trk1
vl 11 tag trk1
vl 12 tag trk1
vl 13 tag trk1
etc

Could I not simply do :
trunk 46-48 trk1 trunk
vl 4095 tag trk1

I am using primarily Aruba 3800, 3810, 2920 and 2930 switches.

5 REPLIES 5
Nitish_N
HPE Pro

Hi,

In Aruba switch we can't configure vlan 4095 but only till vlan 4094. 

-N

Accept or Kudo
BBloksma
Occasional Advisor

Bummer, so does anyone know of a way to to do something like this?
I do NOT want to create a cluster as most times the 2 switches are in different part of the building servicing different environments. But as the switches where I want this are usualy my 38xx core switches sometimes all VLANs need to be available. With just a few VLANs it is no problem setting this up, it gets to be a hassle  when t is dozens of VLANs.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

I hope I've understood what is your request...but when you apply VLAN tagging(s) on a interface (or on a list/range of interface) you can specify a VLAN-ID-LIST (so "Enter a list of VLAN identifiers or one VLAN identifier")...clearly VLAN listed should be available otherwise you will receive a "VLAN n not found" where reported n is the ID of the missing VLAN.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
BBloksma
Occasional Advisor

It seems a VLAN-ID-LIST is something that Juniper and maybe higher HPE switches support. I have been unable to find anything about it in the 3810 or 2930 manuals.
But... If it is realy an itemised list of the VLANs I want to use on the trunk then doing it this way will not diminish my configuration time. That is if I have to specify a list like ID-LIST=1,2,3,4,etc

However, if I can specify it something like ID-LIST = VLAN 1-1000 where it automaticaly assumes any existing VLAN from 1 through 1000 is part of the list then that would be very helpful. But, like I wrote, I have not been able to find anything about it in the manual at https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00076331en_us&withFrame

However .... after Googling a bit more I just found https://abouthpnetworking.com/2014/03/24/provision-multi-vlan-tagging-on-interfaces/ 
maybe that will help...

Nope , seems I am out of luck
-----<quote>------------
Vlans must exist at global level for the command to work !

This also means that you cannot perform interface vlan tag provisioning (enable the vlan on the port even when the VLAN does not exist yet).
-----<quote>------------

So I still need to list every single VLAN as my VLANs are grouped and I have something VLAN 1, 9, 10, 21-25, 40, 50, 51, 60-62, 80, 81, etc. That still means I have to update my VLAN "list" on the trunk every time there is an update.

Nitish_N
HPE Pro

Hi,

Yes the only way out is to implement the vlans first and then add the vlans to trunk. Also if new vlans is added to the switch globally then we have to update the same to the trunk manually.

-N

Accept or Kudo