1752661 Members
5554 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: J4858C link is Down :(

icedove
Occasional Visitor

J4858C link is Down :(

I have 2 identical Aruba 2530 48G switches.

I have ordered 2x J4858C after I found that they have put 850nm fiber into the wall.

The link between the 2 switches is no more than 200m.

The cable I use to connect the fiber organizer is:

https://www.digitus.info/en/products/fiber-optic-solutions/patch-cables/om2/dk-2533-01/

I have followed the instructions and tertried the process multiple times. First I inserted the SFP modules they do the self test then connected the cables to the cable organizer.

I get this on the switches:

show tech transceivers

transceivers

Transceiver Technical Information:
 Port # | Type      | Prod #     | Serial #         | Part #
 -------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------
 51     | 1000SX    |     J4858C | Info erased | 1990-3657

51       Level 1... Down    Auto          1000FDx  1000SX     multi  1

Is there anything else to be done here?

I have tried

conf t

int 51

enable

It does not change anything the port is down.

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

The port is down OR the (physical) link is down?

There is a clear difference between the two.

Link down means Layer 1 issue (Was the cabling certified end to end?), Port down can be something related to configuration (e.g. a port set to be administratively down AKA disabled).

Can you interconnect both Aruba 2530 via their J4858C SFP Transceivers directly - as a test - by means of just a fiber optic patch cord like the one linked above (avoiding to use the fiber optic run between sites)?

If so what is the result?

The output of show tech transceivers looks good to me.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
icedove
Occasional Visitor

As I have felt I have no choice to debug this any further I had to move the 2 switches close to each other and connect them with the cable.

51       Level 1... Up      Auto          1000FDx  1000SX     multi  1

Now the link is up. As I said it was not disabled from software on any means. So now what I have to find out is what is the problem with the fiber they have put in.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@icedove wrote: 
So now what I have to find out is what is the problem with the fiber they have put in.

You shouldn't care...I mean...the installer should care about that at this point...whoever installed the fiber optic run must provide you a certificate about its proper installation and a test passed document...clearly if the work was done professionally by an installer able to certify cabling it installs/manages.

I'm not an HPE Employee
icedove
Occasional Visitor

Well regardless that they did not leave any certificate here, they did test the connection with a special tool and 2 way walkies between the 2 locations and it worked for them.

I took out a paper from the cable organizer saying prufprotokoll.TKM and other data on it like the fiber wavelength 850 nm (which is the same as my transreceivers).

Then there is something like 1650/125 OM4.

Can that be that the 2 small link cables what I ordered are not compatible with the fiber organizer patch panel?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Pretty strange...OM4 fiber optic cable should be optimized for 850 nm wavelength and have 50/125 um (Core/Cladding) diameters AS the OM3 of your fiber optic patch cords...in other terms...OM3 and OM4 are compatible and can be mixed...so the sequence OM3-OM4-OM3 should be OK.

I'm not an HPE Employee