4933 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

J8698A Arp table holding old IP/Mac pairs

AdamH84
Occasional Collector

J8698A Arp table holding old IP/Mac pairs

Hello!

We have a 5412zl core (J8698A) that is causing some issues with, I believe, its arp table.

I am moving Hyper-V VMs from one host to another.  After the move, if I set the same static IP on the VM in the new location, I get maybe 1 in 50 pings to actually go through to the machine.  In investigating the cause, I noticed that "show arp" on the J8698A device (which the new and old VM hosts are connected to directly) has the old host's mac address listed for the desired IP.

Throughout the day, I've seen the port change between the ports of the old host and, rarely, a port of the new host.  Using Wireshark from my desk PC, when pings are successful to the IP, the mac of the new host is in the request as expected.  The failed pings are all trying to contact the old host's mac address.

We have an arp age of 20 in "show ip", but I don't see a mac age setting in our config.  I assume it is default or that I'm overlooking it.  The VM was removed from the old host 7 hours ago, but the issue is still going on now.

I'm thinking I may just need to "clear arp" and let the device recreate the entries, but I wanted to ask here first as this is a little out of my wheelhouse.

Boot ROM: K.15.30
Version: K.15.15.0006

(Outdated, I know!  That should be coming soon)

Thank you for any help and information you can provide!