4395 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

J9028a Help with VLAN config

jetboy01
Visitor

J9028a Help with VLAN config

Hi

I've been banging my head against a brick wall with this. I have got my config working exactly as I wanted with a J9085a, but I can't replicate the same config onto a J9028a.

I want to do the following:

2x switches (both J9028a) linked on port1.

On both switches I want ports 2 through 18 to be VLAN2

Ports 19 through 24 to be VLAN3

The end result is that a server for example on port 20 on switch 2, can only communicate with devices in VLAN 3 on switch 1

and a Server in port 7 for example on Switch 2, can only communicate with devices on VLAN2 on switch 1.

As I said, this was simple on a J9085a, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the config on the J9028a!

I hope that makes sense, and that someone can help!

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
LorenzoCastro
Frequent Advisor

Re: J9028a Help with VLAN config

Not sure where you are so far with your configuration, but try the following.  The link between your two switches should have vlan 1 untagged and vlan 2 and 3 tagged.  You don't necessarily need 1 involved, but for ease of configuration, just leave it for now. Providing nothing else will be sending tagged traffic you would make sure your server and workstation ports are untagged for the vlan they require access to. So server that needs access to only vlan 3 should have it's port untagged for vlan 3 and the same for the server that only needs access to vlan 2.

jetboy01
Visitor

Thanks for your advice so far.

That all sounds reasonable, and along the lines of what I tried, however I think I am getting myself mixed up in some of the terminology used on this switch... I have attached a screenshot to show you what I mean!

How would you implement your solution given the terminology on this switch?

Thanks!

James

LorenzoCastro
Frequent Advisor

Hi James, I see what you mean, that is a bit confusing.  Doing this on the command line makes a lot more sense for me...

The PVID that you assign to the port is the VLAN ID that will be assigned to untagged frames on that port.  Every port has a PVID by default and that would be 1 as you can see in your ss.  After you add your VLANs you will be able to select the vlan from that PVID drop down making your port an untagged member of that vlan.  So, for example, if you want to assign your server to VLAN 3 and it's plugged in to Port 1 you should be able to hit the drop down and select vlan 3.  For any other hosts do the same for their respective ports and VLANs.  By default it looks like your switch is going to accept all tagged packets as long as it's vlan aware, so on your uplink you would just leave it default.  As long as the other side was untagged in vlan 1 and tagged for the other vlans, and your switch has those other vlans defined, your traffic should traverse both switches on both vlans.  HTH.