New Discussion

Re: L3 RAGG and L2 LACP - example

SOLVED
Go to solution
JaxHT
Occasional Advisor

L3 RAGG and L2 LACP - example

Hi Everyone,
I have a problem with the connection between Route-Aggregation and L2 LACP at the moment.
Does anyone has a link example of this case?
Please advise!
6 REPLIES 6
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Is there any particcular reason to use one side Route Aggregation and one side Bridge aggregation?

I believe LACP can be formed but it won't  pass the traffic.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
JaxHT
Occasional Advisor

Hi akg7,
My purpose is to limit spanning tree to the Aruba 5406R zl2 stack (new site) by using L3 link via RAGG port. The BAGG port with untagged vlan is used for routing point-to-point; the other subnets are tagged for inter-vlan routing on this new site.
This is the current configuration. Do you have any suggestions along with this?
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello @JaxHT ,

I believe you have to keep both side link as L2 LACP (Bridge Aggregation) and pass the required vlans from BAGG.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi!

@JaxHT wrote: My purpose is to limit spanning tree to the Aruba 5406R zl2 stack (new site) by using L3 link via RAGG port. The BAGG port with untagged vlan is used for routing point-to-point; the other subnets are tagged for inter-vlan routing on this new site.

The point is that ArubaOS-Switch doesn't support RAGG ports (Routed LAGs)...so your option (your scenario) is to have a Port Trunk (a LAG) properly tagged or untagged with a particular VLAN Id (used to just as to Point-to-Point transport) and then use for that VLAN Id a particular strict IP addressing (say a /31) and apply static route on your Aruba 5400R zl2 VSF stack to networks behind the other L3 peer Switch...on the L3 peer Switch (where the Port Trunk - LAG - terminates) apply the same approach for traffic in the opposite direction.

You need to divide/separate these two joining networks? I believe that bpdu-filter should give you an help BUT I'm not sure you can apply this spanning tree bpdu filtering approach (keeping spanning tree topologies separated by means of interfaces not partecipating in spanning tree by being always in forwarding mode and filtering BPDUs)...why? because you're applying (or you are going to apply) it against a Port Trunk logical interface (made of two or more aggregated links, NonProtocol or LACP doesn't matter)...it it is a single link interconnecting two networks...the bpdu filtering approach works for sure...with aggregated links I don't believe so (I fear it is mutually exclusive).

Edit: or maybe I'm wrong and spanning tree bpdu-filter can be applied also on Port Trunking logical port by applying it on its member ports (see here the example).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
JaxHT
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your suggestion, experts!

Actually, RAGG (IP) and BAGG (untagged routing vlan, tagged related vlans) work successfully. But it is impossible to manage the switches within the remote site due to having no local server there. Hence, I will convert the RAGG port to BAGG with the untagged management vlan (as well as the routing vlan). MSTP is used to solve the spanning math in this case.

Thank you!!!

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi!

@JaxHT wrote: Hence, I will convert the RAGG port to BAGG with the untagged management vlan (as well as the routing vlan).

Why you are transporting more than one VLAN on the point-to-point (aggregated/single, it doesn't matter) link? shouldn't you use instead just a single (prefereably tagged, I add) VLAN id to which both ends' ports are tagged members and then use static routing on both ends to let East side to speak with West side (and vice-versa) through that P2P link?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner