Aruba & ProVision-based
1748171 Members
3935 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lacp between HP procurve and two Servers (Quantum Artico)

SJ04
Advisor

Lacp between HP procurve and two Servers (Quantum Artico)

Hello Guys,

I need to set up the lacp configuration from the HP Pro curve switch 4204vl and two NAS servers. so each server has one 10 gb port and i need to connect both each server port to the one port and on the pro curve switch to have the LACP configuration on the Switch to provide the High Avalibility for Nas server,

I am bit confusse here with trunk and lacp configuration can osmeone please help me

thank you

7 REPLIES 7
parnassus
Honored Contributor

I see a initial problem in your request: when you speak about LACP Port Trunking is implicit that each Port Trunk you consider (which other brands can call "Interface Bonding" or "Teaming") requires a number of member physical interfaces equal or greater to two (the upper limit depends, Switch side, by Switch hardware/software limits related to Port Trunking)...otherwise referencing LACP Port Trunking to a link made using just one single physical interface (read for semplicity: one cable) is - IMHO - a non sense. That's a Trunk, nothing more.

So if you have two NAS, each one with only one 10G physical interface, you're pretty limited to implement a single link Trunk not a LACP (or a Non-Protocol) Port Trunk...clearly that is valid on each NAS you're considering.

If otherwise you have two NAS equipped with, each one, two free 10G physical interfaces then you can create - on both ends (Switch and NAS) - a Port Trunk with those two 10G physical interfaces as member ports...so, Switch side, you shall end up with two Port Trunk(s) (each one made of two 10G member ports) for a grand total of four 10G physical interfaces used on Switch side and one Port Trunk on each NAS (made with its two 10G member ports).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

The 4204 is over 15 years old - does it even have 10Gb ports? It never did way back when I was using them.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

But...J8766A exists.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Wow, so you can get rid of 20 copper ports and have one single 10Gb port.

The 4000/8000 was a fantastic switch which lasted for 10 years until I needed 10Gb uplinks. I even used some as aggregation switches for 1Gb campus uplinks.

We started upgrading to 4204s and 4208s and they weren't very good. I never knew you could install a 1-port 10Gb module, but if I did, I wouldn't have been interested. The last time I worked with 4200s was about 5 years ago when I upgraded a network to 5400s.

When the 5406 and 5412 came out, you could get a 4-port 10Gb module which was a bit sparse, but they eventually added a 8-port SFP+ module which was good.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

:-) ...also considering that that single 10G port Module was sold probably at about 1k USD, its usage is *actually* - Port Trunking or not - not so rational (I don't know if any used 4200vl Module is *so* damm cheap to justify its current usage in comparison to use any actual 10G enabled fixed-port/modular Switch).

So I totally agree with you.

The point is that the OP *wrote* he/she has a 4204vl with (unknown) 10G ports...I hope he/she knows what he/she owns so initially I didn't express my opinion about that (consideration: reading about what he/she is planning to with the hardware he/she probably has...I have, as you, overall serious legitimate doubts).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Linkk
Frequent Advisor

@parnassus wrote:

But...J8766A exists.

Oh, wow, I didn't know this exists either. I'm really curious about the OP really having two or more of these.

But OP said the NAS has two 10Gb/s ports, not the switch. So I really have doubts about OP having one. 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Linkk wrote: But OP said the NAS has two 10Gb/s ports, not the switch. So I really have doubts about OP having one.

Totally true: it was my fault confusing what the OP wanted (Switch side) with what the OP probably owns.

What the OP owns is totally unclear so we can only do conjectures.

OTOH Quantum Artico Intelligent NAS (which looks like an HA system with two Artico Server nodes - with 1GbE and, optionally, 10GbE connectivity customer facing - and a Controller Array plus, eventually, an optional Expansion Array) seems capable to be equipped with a single NIC with up to two 10GbE physical ports (specifically 10Gb BASE-T copper)...but here I can be wrong (documentation is somewhat unclear).

In the end, what is important for the OP is to understand if all involved hardware met requirements necessary to deploy one or more LACP Port Trunk(s) between the Switch and the NAS system(s) he/she owns.

IMHO that modern NAS/SAN system deserves a modern and more capable Switch.

I'm not an HPE Employee