New Discussion

Layer 2 vs Layer 3 Procurve switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
JessieBoy
Occasional Visitor

Layer 2 vs Layer 3 Procurve switches

Hi!

We are currently planning to migrate our office branch and we had to consider additional equipments specially our switches. Currently we have three (3) Smart Managed switches -> HP Procurve V1810-24G (J9450A)

Our options are as follows:

Option A: Since this is a Layer 2 switch, we are planning to add three (3) additional but of a Layer 3 so we can fully managed those and cascade Layer 2 and 3. Question on this part is this: Does cascading Layer 2 vs Layer 3 switches advisable? Can you tell me its pros and cons?

Option B: Purchase additional three (3) HP Procurve V1810-24G (J9450A) making a count total of six (6). Question for this option is management and monitoring tool. As I know, Layer 2 switches have Web management console only. What is the best way to monitor these switches other than Web console? I tried setting up InMon but it is not compatible with this type of switch I guess. 

Please help

Regards

Jessie

2 REPLIES 2
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Layer 2 vs Layer 3 Procurve switches

Some brief pointers:

Option A: There's no problem with cascading L2 switches off L3 switches. There are some gotchas, and plenty of different ways to do it, but essentially, it's possible. If it wasn't, no one would ever be able to mix L2 & L3 switches! :-)

Option B: The V series supports monitoring via SNMP, but i've never found it very reliable. I'm now at the point where i would not consider buying V1810 at all. If i buy V series, i buy unmanaged switches (V1410), and if i buy L2, i buy E or A series.

There really is no substitute for learning the CLI and managing the switches that way.

Good luck with your choice!
Regards,
Paul
JessieBoy
Occasional Visitor

Re: Layer 2 vs Layer 3 Procurve switches

Sorry for the late response.. This info is great help.

Thanks Paul!