5163 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Linking 2910al Switches with Interconnect Kit

Philip_J_Fry
Occasional Visitor

Linking 2910al Switches with Interconnect Kit

Hi,

I got 4 2910al Switches, linked together with Interconnect Kit Modules. Stacking is configured and Switch 1 is the Stackmaster. Only one VLAN is used. The 4 Switches are connected with Interconnect Kit Modules like this:

Switch 1 -> Switch 2

Switch 2 -> Switch 3

Switch 3 -> Switch 4

Is it possible to link Switch 4 to Switch 1 with another Interconnect Kit Module without creating a Loop? Or do I need to configure Spanning Tree with the potential loss of bandwidth?

4 REPLIES 4
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Re: Linking 2910al Switches with Interconnect Kit

Hello

You don't have to configure spanning-tree. You can just conenct member 4 with member 1 without creating a loop. It is just for redundancy.

Kind regards

Philip_J_Fry
Occasional Visitor

So the Interconnect-Module behaves like a "real" Stacking Module and not like a "normal" Switchport (i.e. a SFP+ Port)? Redundancy is what I want. Otherwise, without this Link, Network on Switch 3 and 4 is also down if Switch 2 has a failure.

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

It is not really stacking, it is more like single IP management of your whole "stack". I'm not sure but i don't think that they act like "normal" switch ports. I'm not familiar with those switches.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

The interconnect modules are just 10Gb CX connections. I think they really are just network ports - you can connect any other CX network port (old blade server, 3500 with 10Gb module) too. And certainly no true stacking/MLAG capabilities.