1752281 Members
4697 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Long pause before login prompt - E3800-48G-PoE+ J9574A

DavidSawyer
Occasional Contributor

Long pause before login prompt - E3800-48G-PoE+ J9574A

We have just installed the above 3800 switches and noticed when you telnet to them there is a long pause - around 12 seconds - before the 'Username' prompt appears.

Once logged in it runs fine and CPU runs at 1% during this long pause.

We are running Software revision KA.15.03.3006, upgraded from KA.15.03.3004 and this happens with both versions.

Is there anything within the standard config (eg oobm) that could cause this as it doesn't happen with other HP kit and we use a very basic config - eg around 8 vlans, PoE devices and one fibre uplink?

Thanks

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

If it were a Linux box i would guess that it's doing a DNS lookup and timing out, but that seems unlikely for a switch.  Anything in the 'show log' output for that time?

BTW, you should configure ssh and turn off telnet.

Regards,
Paul
Peter Jakobsen
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I will confirm that I have the exact same problem. I have 20 3800, wich are all stacked in a mesh with 4 3800 pr. stack.

All stacks have the same problem. There is only one IP pr stack, and I'm using telnet

There is created a case at HP support, and they have not yet been able to reproduce this problem. I have over 1000 HP Procurve swtiche, and this is the only device that has this feature.

Regards,

peter

DavidSawyer
Occasional Contributor

Nothing in the log except to confirm my login has been accepted
Peter Jakobsen
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

My current case number for this problem is 4673905465, so will suggest that if still have the problem contact HP support and referre to that problem.

I have yesterday updated to 3015 (just released on the WEB), and the delay on my stack has not been seen since. Also updated to 3800 without stacking and module. No delay yet (one of them had the delay). This is nor been "fixed" according to releasenote, but I have seen before that the delay whent away for a while after an upgrade, but retuned later on.

By the way 3015 has many fixes so it worth looking at.

Regards,

peter