5645 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Mac Based Vlan best scenario?

vDummy
Occasional Contributor

Mac Based Vlan best scenario?

Hi All,

We have a portable VC unit that works best when it has a personal VLAN to unfiltered internet. The problem is this VC unit could be plugged into 3-4 different switches/ports throughout the day.

Am I correct in thinking that a dynamic VLAN (MAC Based) would work for this scenario? Would i need to configure every port with a MAC based vlan in order to allow this?

The trunk ports would be configured in advance to this, so its only the edge access ports that need to know to assign the VC Unit to the correct VLAN.

For mass configuration I was going to use HP IMC. But I'm not sure what is the best way of getting around this? We have tested opening ports directly to this box and keeping it on the private network but you see much greater results when on a private VLAN straight to internet.

Switches are HP 5120's.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Mac Based Vlan best scenario?

How about you have reserved patch (wall) ports for the VC unit (buy some purple patch leads and leave them in place), those ports patched back to switchports that are assigned your "direct" VLAN, and locked down to the MAC address of the VC unit?