3665 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Make two Procurve 2810's redundant

JorisK
Regular Advisor

Make two Procurve 2810's redundant

Hi,

We have two procurve 2810 switches and we want to make them redundant. What would be the best way to get this done?

I was thinking of connecting installing two fiber miniports in both switches to get a fully redundant 2GB connection between the switches. After that, does it require any more configuration?
15 REPLIES 15
JorisK
Regular Advisor

I forgot to tell:

The idea is to connect all the servers on both switches. In case switch one goes down the servers should have a conncetion using the other switch. All the NICs on the servers are configured as active/standby.
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

- Make sure to have STP enabled
- Make sure to set NIC's(if HP Servers) to fault tolerant and not auto
- Make sure you have redundant uplinks
JorisK
Regular Advisor

Thabnks Thijs,

STP is the Spanning Tree protocol is that right?

Doesn't STP need any configuration?
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

spanning tree config for prevent loop
may be use in the redundacy

but spanning tree block second nic

you can only use one interface on server
second interface will be block by stp

very bad

2810 switch a edge switch for network edge

you need 3500 swtich
for Server-to-switch distributed trunking

Server-to-switch distributed trunking: allows a server to connect to two switches with one logical trunk that consists of multiple physical connections; enables load-balancing and increases resiliency New!

http://www.procurve.com/products/switches/HP_ProCurve_Switch_3500yl_Series/overview.htm
cenk

Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Hi

You can use a link aggregation to merge the links logically as 1 link
there are 2 option, using normal trunk or use lacp

this way the stp will see the 2 links as 1 trunk link and will not block any one of them and also if one fails the other will continue working normaly.

If you need further info. of how to configure that please inform me

Regards,
Islam Hassan
Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

Can this be also done on 4204vl L3 switch ?

I want to do this as well

Let me know
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Yes it can be done on that switch also

The trunk configuration must be performed on both sides of the trunk before the redundant links are connected.

Below are the commands

#trunk a1,a3 trk1 lacp

a1, a3: the ports the are configured, you can put any ports you want but the ports must be directly connected to the other switch.

trk1, trk2,...: fixed lable names for the trunk group

lacp: is the protocol

The trunk configuration must be performed on both sides of the trunk before the redundant links are connected.

after configuring the trk1, the attached ports will be removed automaticlly from any vlan and trk1 will be the logical link for them, and it will be untagged in vlan1, to carry the traffic for other vlans you need to tag the trk1 in the vlans you want.

one more thing, the ports must be in full-duplex

That's it try it, for further information you can check the switch manual.

Regards,
Islam hassan
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

I don't agree with Cenk. The goal here is redundancy. RSTP has only a downtime of a few seconds. No need for distributed trunking, which would be good for HP's income though.

You just need to enable RSTP

spanning-tree
spanning-tree force-version RSTP-operation
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

If RSTP or STP are enabled, one of the links will be blocked, yes it will be a redundant BACKUP link but the problem is that the port will not be forwarding any traffic so it's w waste, by enabling trunking both of the links will work and will load balance the traffic and incase one of them fall the other will continue working, i think that will be better than blocking one link through either STP or RSTP and reserve it as a backup and wait till the other link goes down or something happen to it.
And btw, trunk is already available in the swtich so it will not cost him anything actually.

Regards,
Islam Hassan