Aruba & ProVision-based
1752799 Members
5768 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Management VLAN 1 network unreachable error when all ports moved to another vlan's

Aulakhl
Occasional Contributor

Management VLAN 1 network unreachable error when all ports moved to another vlan's

I had a HP procurve 5412 ZL switch, i configured an ip address on Management VLAN 1 and moved all ports to another VLAN's for user , Printer and server Network and now i cannot ping a switch on management VLAN as there is no uplink port in VLAN 1, as a best practice i dont want to keep any ports or device connected to vlan 1, so please advise how can i ping  or access this switch with VLAN 1 ip address without moving any upling ports in VLAN 1. i can ping other VLANs with their IP as uplink ports are available in those VLANS.  when i try to ping VLAN 1 ip address from switch console i get error message "The destination address is unreachable."  i want to keep VLAN 1 only as management vlan so that all other traffic go throuth other VLANs, i dont have any trunk to other switches as well because this is only one switch in remote site.

3 REPLIES 3
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Re: Management VLAN 1 network unreachable error when all ports moved to another vlan's

Hello

When a vlan is not assigned to a port so not in use, the vlan interface is Down. In your case i guess your vlan 1 interface is down. Thats why you can't ping it.

The best solution for you, if you don't want to use vlan 1, is to not use it at all, and make a new vlan called management for your switch IP's. Then enable this vlan on your uplinks. 

Kind regards

Aulakhl
Occasional Contributor

i was following the best practices to keep VLAN1 as management VLAn and dont add any ports, but in order to manage switch remotely with IP assigned to VLAN 1 i cannot ssh or ping this switch because there is no uplink in this vlan, is there another way that we can make a virtual interface and assign to this vlan so that device would be accessible remotely. or any another method to manage thsi switch with vlan1 and dont add any ports that carry traffic.

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Hi

In my opnion that is not best practice. It is better not to use vlan 1 at all and make a new vlan called management.

I don't think it is possible to make the vlan 1 interface up without assigning a port to it. Maybe you can use the loopback adress to manage your switches, if you don't want to create a new vlan.

I can't find any reason why you wouldn't just create a new vlan for management.

Kind regards