Aruba & ProVision-based
1753604 Members
5849 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Merging multiple vlans for wan access with different default gateways. Also rate limiting by vlan.

Working_Tech
Occasional Visitor

Merging multiple vlans for wan access with different default gateways. Also rate limiting by vlan.

Hi,

I have a requirement where multiple sites are coming in on different vlans to a 3500yl. Some of these sites I want to merge their vlans into one vlan that then goes to a firewall which is vlan aware. Some of the other sites (different vlans) I also want to send to the firewall. This all occurs on one wire to the firewall.

My first question is how do I merge a few vlans coming in on one port into another vlan?

Secondly how would I go about making the default gateway for each individual vlan so that I can have a 0.0.0.0 which points to different ips depending on the vlan.

Thirdly if I can get this set up how can I rate limit by vlan so that only specific vlans get a certain amount of bandwidth. Has anyone implemented something like this? Do I need more switches than one 3500yl?

1 REPLY 1
RussellH
Occasional Advisor

Re: Merging multiple vlans for wan access with different default gateways. Also rate limiting by vla

I would be inclined to use the 3500 as the core router, running the required VLAN interfaces (each VLAN interface is the default route for it's subnet).

I would then configure another VLAN for the ASA connection. The inside IP address of the ASA becomes the default route (will need to be configured on the 3500.

This assumes you have no inter-VLAN security requirements (you will be limited to ACLs).