Aruba & ProVision-based
1752725 Members
5456 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Newbie Routing Question

CCISHuntington

Newbie Routing Question

I would like to route a specific IP out an alternative firewall/gateway than the one I have all my other users using.  I tried the following ip route <IP Address of PC>>/32  <<Gateway>>.  After executing the command on the switch i loose access to the switch and it does not send my traffic out the new gateway.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Ryan

6 REPLIES 6
molsen
Advisor

Hello Ryan,

Could you supply us with the switch configuration and the IP address of the workstation you are entering a host route for? That would help a lot towards understanding the issue.

It is the same host that you are managing the switch from?

Best regards,

Michael

Level 2 Networking Engineer
HP Networking EMEA
Helper
Valued Contributor

Hi,

HPN E-Series (Procurve) products doesn't support  Policy Base Routing, this was discussed in this forum in a recent past.

The only things you can do is to define a different gateway or ip route on this particular station.

Bye.

molsen
Advisor

Hello Helper,

I have a couple of issues with your reply:

1) Policy Based Routing (PBR) is supported on K.15 which you can run on the following E series switches: 8200zl, 5400zl, 6600, 6200yl, 3500yl and 3500. (http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02610033/c02610033.pdf page 5-129 forward) You may want to update other threads where this information could be useful to our userbase.

2) If I read the question correctly the user is simply trying to add a static host route. This should be possible without PBR as long as the route is not in conflict with other configuration. Without knowing the actual configuration and software version, it is impossible to answer the question, hence my request for minimal data.

Best regards,

Michael

HP Networking EMEA
Helper
Valued Contributor

Hi Molsen,

Thanks for your post.

1/ I read the documentation, and at that time i do not undertsand how to use Route Policy to address the needs "I would like to route a specific IP out an alternative firewall/gateway than the one I have all my other users using.".

Is it possible for you to provide us an example ? Based on this description from http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_white_paper09186a00800a4409.shtml

"In Figure 2, Organization X has directed that traffic from address range A go through Internet Service Provider (ISP) 1 and traffic from address range B go through ISP2."

2/ Yes we need more informations. My suggestion was only for a quick workaround regarding "a newbie question". We don't now the product reference.

Regards.

molsen
Advisor

Hello Helper,

I think I wasn't completely clear when I wrote the previous post.

In the OP question, I think the issue is with static routing, not with OSPF or RIP (I partially base this on the "Newbie" part of the thread title)

PBR doesn't apply to static routing (using the ip route x.x.x.x/yy z.z.z.z command), it applies to whether routes distributed dynamically are accepted or not, and whether distance/metric etc. are being manipulated before entering the routes into the L3 forwaring table.

I simply wanted to point out to other readers (perbaps searching for PBR articles) that our boxes DO support PBR when that is needed.

:o)

Michael

HP Networking EMEA
Helper
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your last reply Micheal, now i understand that Policy Base Routing is not fully implemented like customers understand it with Cisco or Enterasys for example, maybe the A-Series have a "full"support for this feature, i don't know.

Regards,

Sylvain.