108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PC Can PING 2524 But 2524 Can't PING PC

SOLVED
Go to solution
randys42
Occasional Visitor

PC Can PING 2524 But 2524 Can't PING PC

We have an old 2524 switch that we need to retrieve the config file and OS. I've seen two ways: using the console with XMODEM or using a TFTP server. I haven't found XMODEM although I've read that Hyperterminal includes XMODEM. I've not seen this with Hyperterminal or with Hyperterminal Private Edition or Putty. 

I decided to go with TFTP but I've run into a problem that I can't figure out. Working on another 2524, I reset it to factory defaults. I am using the DEFAULT_VLAN, the ports are Untagged. The switch IP is:

The PC that's running the TFTP server is:

I can PING the switch from the PC but when I console into the switch, I can't PING the PC. If a PING from the PC finds the switch and the reply makes it back to the PC, why would a PING originating from the switch fail to reach the PC?

Thanks,

Randy

3 REPLIES 3
Chrisd131313
Trusted Contributor

Re: PC Can PING 2524 But 2524 Can't PING PC

Hi Randy,

The only time I have seen this is when the firewall on the PC is blocking ICMP packets. It might be worth a check.

HTH

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to mark a post resolved if your question was answered.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

I agree, almost certainly some kind of firewall. I've been caught out by the Nvidia chipset firewall doing something like this before.

randys42
Occasional Visitor
Solution

It was a firewall. I didn't realize these machines had been on the network and were configured to reject all PING requests.  Now they all see each other. Thanks all for your help. I should have realized these machines were configured that way! 

Thanks again.

Randy