4256 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PXE Boot process does not work on Static LACP when 2 ports are enabled

JoVeN_D
Occasional Contributor

PXE Boot process does not work on Static LACP when 2 ports are enabled

Hi all,

I need help on this and I don't know what's need to be done in order to resolve this.

My setup:

• On server side, Link Aggregation is enabled.
  • On switch side, Static LACP is enabled. 

I have 2 HP 2920-48G Switch (J9728A) Stacking enabled. I enable Link Aggregation on server side then plugged in NIC 1 to HP 2920 switch commander and NIC 2 to  standby. This is only happen when 2 ports are enabled, meaning when I disable the port on standby switch, PXE boot process run as per normal but when both ports are enabled, It doesn't load the boot file that needed. 

I understand that when the server performs the initial boot or a reboot, the server teaming or bond configuration is not yet active. From this, I understand also that the initial request is send to NIC 1 but when it comes to loading the boot file, it send to NIC 2 that's why it's having an error.

Any idea what I need to do or advice on how to resolve this is much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

Joven D. 

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

You named "Commander" and "Standby"...but this jargon implies your two Switches are running as two separate logical entities (indeed this wording is used when just "Stacking for Management" is used, not when true backplane stacking is deployed) and not when real (not only for management purposes) Stacking is done through the specific backplane Stacking Modules and Stacking Cables.

Is my assumption true?

If so you're connecting your Server teamed NIC's ports (as example using the LACP protocol) into two logically separated units instead of against just one...and so Port Trunking's terminations aren't correct on Switch side.

I bet that if you (re)configure the Port Trunking to have member ports all belonging to either first Switch or second Switch then the PXE boot procedure will start to work through the Server teamed NIC ports.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
JoVeN_D
Occasional Contributor

@parnassus

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for confusion. For stacking, I used HP 2920 2-Port Stacking Module (J9733A) and HP Stacking Cable (J9734A).

The way I used to  create a stack is The plug-and-go method - the stacking process determines which switch is the Commander.

For TFTP/DHCP Server, I indicated both MAC Address of NIC's on configuration file. The way I look on it, It's not two separate logical entities, because even I disable the port on switch that Role is Commander, PXE boot process is running as per normal. 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

OK, explained that way is way better.

Hope not to be wrong but it looks like your issue could be probably solved by using (or could be related to) something similar to Comware's "lacp edge-port" setting/command to define the LAG which is paired with your Server's teamed NIC ports.

An interesting reference could be this one.

The Aruba 2920 is ArubaOS-Switch based, it isn't Comware based...so that the availability of such setting/command (or an equivalent one) should be verified.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
JoVeN_D
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reference link.

I also looking on that post and reading documentation of HP 2920 switch if there's a same function as Comware "lacp edge-port" . So far, I don't find anything that's why I post here in community.

Thanks anyway and appreciate your response.  ^^,