5874 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ProCurve 2810 - LACP with Windows Server 2012 R2 / FreeBSD - on Intel NICs

IonutZ
Occasional Collector

ProCurve 2810 - LACP with Windows Server 2012 R2 / FreeBSD - on Intel NICs

Hello there,

I'm trying to create a LACP link between a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine, a Windows 8.1 machine, and a FreeBSD machine through a HP ProCurve 2810. Each machine has 2x Intel NICs and I'm trying to create a 2GbE network using LACP between them. This is proving to be quite a hassle. 

I'm using an Intel I340-T2 adapter on the server where I've teamed the NICs using Hyper-V's NIC Teaming interface. I used Teaming mode: LACP with Load balancing mode: Address Hash. I've read about an option Dynamic, but I cannot find that option under Load balancing mode. Both NICs show a state of Active under the NIC Team, with the NIC Team showing a status of OK.

Running Get-NetLBFOTeamMember command returns this:

Name                    : Intranet 2
InterfaceDescription    : Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T2
Team                    : Lambda
AdministrativeMode      : Active
OperationalStatus       : Active
TransmitLinkSpeed(Gbps) : 1
ReceiveLinkSpeed(Gbps)  : 1
FailureReason           : NoFailure

Name                    : Intranet 1
InterfaceDescription    : Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T2 #2
Team                    : Lambda
AdministrativeMode      : Active
OperationalStatus       : Active
TransmitLinkSpeed(Gbps) : 1
ReceiveLinkSpeed(Gbps)  : 1
FailureReason           : NoFailure

I've configured the FreeBSD machine for LACP with a lagg package, and I've performed a NIC Teaming on the Windows 8.1 machine from Intel's ProSet utility. 

On the other end, on the HP ProCurve 2810, I've tried both creating separate Trunks with LACP for each machine, and I've tried enabling LACP for each interface outside of a trunk while grouping each pair of lines... There is no failure in LACP negotiation, but at the same time, I'm not able to communicate between the 3 clients at more than 114MB/s (running CAT6 as well). 

I've disabled Flow Control on the switch. RSS is enabled on the clients. I'm really out of ideas. 

Thank you for your help!

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: ProCurve 2810 - LACP with Windows Server 2012 R2 / FreeBSD - on Intel NICs

That all sounds like it is working correctly. 114MB/s is about 1GB, and these are 1Gb interfaces you are using.