Aruba & ProVision-based
1752677 Members
5425 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ProCurve product line being discontinued?

n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

Re: ProCurve product line being discontinued? NO!!!

Since HP is adding ComWare commands in the ProVision Software, are they going to add ProVision commands in Comware?

jguse
HPE Pro

They're merely adding the Comware commands to K-Software to make it easier for admins used to Comware switches, as the note also mentions. Nothing to do with anything being discontinued.

I don't know if they'll do the opposite, but considering you can already use the "command-alias" feature to essentially do this for yourself however you want to...

[Comware] command-alias enable

[Comware] command-alias mapping display show

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

FWIW, here are the aliases i've defined. On 5500-EI it requires Comware 5.20 rel 2208; the default 2202 that comes with the switches i've bought doesn't have this feature.

command-alias enable
 command-alias mapping display show
 command-alias mapping undo no
 command-alias mapping return end
 command-alias mapping quit exit
 command-alias mapping save write
 command-alias mapping info-center logging

The hotkeys are pretty handy, too.  More info about Comware from a ProCurve perspective in my blog here: http://libertysys.com.au/blog/initial-thoughts-on-the-hp-a5500-ei-switch

Regards,
Paul
n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

On thing I noticed is that except for the recent firmware release for the 3500/5400/6600/82xx series, the 3800 switches have had firmware updates except a recent firmware that only contains fixes and no enhancements.

Seems like they are slowing down on builds. I wonder if the Procurve are being reassigned to the "A" series product group as part of the company overhaul. 

Also, other than the recent 19xx switch, no new ProCurve(ProVision) switch has been release nor announced.

Just my observation.

Marcus J
Frequent Advisor

Re: ProCurve product line being discontinued?

Yes unfortunately it seems like all procurve's are being discontinued.

No new procurves for a very long time, software development seems to have stalled completely.

The fact that they are discontinuing procurve manager.

HP Certifications are geared more and more to H3C switches and commands.

For us that have been working with procurves for more than 10 years this is quite sad, i never thought this would be the case when HP purchased 3com/H3C.

However i don't think i will ever do the move to H3C. The price difference compared to a equivalent cisco-switch is too small.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Lynn-Marie already answered your objection above. If you think her facts are incorrect, counter with real facts, not hearsay.

ProCurve Manager deserves to die - i have had nothing but bad experiences with it, and by all reports IMC outstrips it in every department.

I've been working with ProCurve gear for 10 years as well, and i was really glad to see their portfolio extended with Comware. I tried the Comware switches and i was glad i did. http://libertysys.com.au/blog/initial-thoughts-on-the-hp-a5500-ei-switch
Regards,
Paul
tschaps
Valued Contributor

@Marcus J wrote:

...The fact that they are discontinuing procurve manager...

They certainly don't give it much attention, but do you have some source for this? I don't dispute it, but you list it as a fact, yet I can't find any announcement to that effect.

Thanks

Marcus J
Frequent Advisor

IF HP starts releasing some new series of the more advanced "procurve line" , like a new hotter 5400zl or 8200zl they would show us that the "procurve line" is not dead, but personally i doubt they will.

Lately there have been only been some smaller switches released, like 2620.

Unfortunately HP have done similar things in the past, as when they purchased colubris, it did'nt take long before they discontinued their own "Wireless egde services" module and all accesspoints.

This caused very much annoyance with customers, many of them later changed to cisco wlc's just because they wanted a equipment that would'nt be discontinued in a few years.

What will happen to the "colubris line" now when they have purchased "3com wlan" i guess we will have to wait and see.

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

Well,

from what I found within google cache (that one should really be forbidden)

- HP´s Colubris based MSM series will have a major update, soon.
- New MSM controllers will be available.

- Everything gets Comware Like Interface.
- HP´s H3C based Wifi access point series will also be available in future wihin Asia, but not in REST OF World countries.

- I myself like to see a 8200zl => V3 <= Haven´t found anythong about that one, yet.

n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

That is interesting... What key words did you use for google to find that info. If this was on an HP site, what is the URL for it?