cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procurve 2530 uplink ports.

K33n
Occasional Visitor

Procurve 2530 uplink ports.

I have two 2530 Procurves that have two uplink ports.  One uplink port on each switch goes to our core switch and the other uplink ports connect the two 2530s together.  The 2530s are connected together via Point to Point wireless to provide redundancy to different buildings in the event the main uplink port is deactivated.  The issue that I am facing is that the secondary uplink port is pushing traffic when it should not be unless the primary is down.  The secondary uplink is not gigabit speed (due to P2P) whereas the primary is fiber.  We do not have any routing protocols enabled on our network so is there a command that tells if this port is down to enable this port?

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Procurve 2530 uplink ports.

Sorry...2530-1 connected to Core, 2530-2 connected to Core too...2530-1 and 2530-2 connected together...isn't this a loop (provided that you're not using a particular MSTP configuration)?

If so, given that (R)STP should be enabled...one of your "offending" link should have been brought down to avoid the above loop...understand which one would require (a) to have a clear network topology and (b) to see how STP was configured on each involved Switch (Core included).

The Wireless PtP link could be probably slower (air-speed) but if related 2530 interfaces are connected at the same 2530-Core speed to each Wireless AP (have them 1Gbps or 100Mbps Ethernet interfaces?)...then, from each 2530's port perspective, that link has the same wire-speed of the other to Core.

A simple show interface brief should let you know what interfaces are up and what are down.

K33n
Occasional Visitor

You are correct Parnassus this would create a loop.  We have implemented STP to avoid loops in our network.  My apologies I should have added that to my initial question.

The Wireless APs are both connected to gigabit ports on the 2530s and you are correct it would be slower.  That is what I started experiencing and had to disable them temporarily.  We had end users noticing speed drops in Network activity so I traced it back to the PtP link.  Once I disabled them, all traffic sped up because it was again going over the fiber connection.  

I guess a better question would be, is there some sort of configuration that I am missing that I can configure two ports let's say ports 46 and 52 on each switch are in a group.  One is active and the other is passive so if the active goes down the passive kicks in until the other link is restored.  Hope that makes sense.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

OK, so your scenario should fall into what Smart Link feature should offer (available on HP/Aruba 2530 since YA/YB.15.14...so a very "mature" feature). Worth to mention a thread about Smart Link (and its usage with LACP...but, in general, we discussed about few implementations doubts about Smart Link deployment scenario <-- the case it will be used between just a pair of Switches and not against two different ones as pictured).

Otherwise you should (re)configure the "slower" (in Air...since from the Wire perspective it looks the same to both 2530) link to have a different STP cost so that link will be remain down if the other "faster" ones (in Wire) are both concurrently active.