Aruba & ProVision-based
1753726 Members
4640 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Procurve 4208vl : 10GigE ports allow only 1 Gb/s per connection!

SOLVED
Go to solution
wazoox
Occasional Contributor

Procurve 4208vl : 10GigE ports allow only 1 Gb/s per connection!

The setup is as follow : 3 Linux servers with Intel CX4 10 GigE controllers and an X-Serve with a Myricom 10 GigE CX4 controller are connected to a ProCurve 4208vl switch, with a myriad of other machines connected through good ol' 1000 base-T.

The interfaces are actually set up as 10 Gig, according to both the switch monitoring interface and the servers tools (ethtool, etc). However a single connection between two 10 GigE equipped machines through the switch is limited to exactly 1Gb.

If I connect two of the 10 GigE machines directly with a CX4 cable, netperf reports the link bandwidth as 9000 Mb/s. NFS achieves about 550 MB/s transfers. But when I'm using the switch, the connection tops at 950 Mb/s through netperf and 110 MB/s with NFS.

When I open several connections from 3 of the machines to the 4th, I get 350 MB/s of NFS transfer speed. So each individual 10 GigE ports actually can reach much more than 1 Gb, but individual TCP/IP connections are strictly limited to 1 Gb.

Conclusion : the 10 GigE connection through the switch behaves exactly like a trunk of 10 1 Gb connections. That doesn't make any sense to me, unless HP planned these ports strictly for many-clients-to-single-server connections. Unfortunately this is NOT the envisioned setup, we need big throughput from machine to machine.  

Is this a not-so-known limitation of this type of switch? Should I suggest seppuku to the HP representative? Does anyone have any idea on how to enable a proper behaviour ? I upgraded for an hefty price from bonded 1Gb links to 10 GigE and see exactly ZERO gain! That's absolutely unacceptable.

1 REPLY 1
wazoox
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: Procurve 4208vl : 10GigE ports allow only 1 Gb/s per connection!

OK, I get it, replying to myself :

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/faqs/4200vlSeriesfaq.htm#new2008q1

Basically, I'm hosed...