Aruba & ProVision-based
1748011 Members
4754 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve Switch with trunking support ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Procurve Switch with trunking support ?

Hi All,

Can anyone here please confirm if any or both the below type of HP Procurve switch can be used by iSCSI server to create trunking (802.3ad - LACP) for more than 2x Gigabit Ethernet Cat6e network cable ?

HP Procurve 2650 J4899A
HP Procurve 2650 J4899B

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor

For sure the latter one supports the IEEE 802.3ad Standard (Directly from QuickSpecs: "802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) and ProCurve trunking: support up to 6 trunks, each with up to 4 links (ports) per trunk; trunking across modules is supported")...so I think the same should be basically valid for the former.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Server-Support
Super Advisor

@parnassus OK, does this means that both switch supports the trunking to create 2 GB/s or maximum of 4 GBps from 4x Ethernet Cat6e cable combined ?

Best regards,
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Confirmed.

For both models: up to 6 LAGs, each LAG up to 4 physical ports aggregated together as LAG members (so 4 x 1Gbps = 4 Gbps per each traffic flow direction - ingress and egress - so a grand total of 8 Gbps "Full Duplex").

Clearly Port Trunking's restrictions and requirements (both generically speaking and also specifically speaking for those exact switch models) need to be (a) undrestood and (b) fulfilled/met.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Cool, many thanks @parnassus for the clarification.

I will buy those models (second hand or used from ebay) and hopefully I can find the trunking instructions in this forum.

Best regards,
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Personal advice/recommendation: start first with the latest original documentation available through the HPE Support Portal...specifically for the J4899B, start here and then consult:

• Download options to get drivers, software and firmware.
  • Top Issues & Solutions (somewhat generic, but sometimes, there could be something which is product specific).
  • Manuals.

You will be able to discover a lot of useful informations, as example that:

• latest software built was done in March, 2016 (see H.10.119 Release Note, the H.10.119 is the final H.10 branch release version), keep your unit updated.
  • the same software version is valid for J4899A, B and C models.
  • HP ProCurve 2600, 2600-PWR, 2800, 4100, 6108 Switch series have this Management and Configuration Guide, you can use it - Chapter 12 "Port Trunking" - to learn how to manage Port Trunking (LAG/BAGG) with your unit.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks man !

Best regards,