Aruba & ProVision-based
1753534 Members
5751 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Proper setting for Aruba HP 2530-24G Switch (J9776A) for IPTV Multicast dan DOV Unicast

Prawira
Advisor

Proper setting for Aruba HP 2530-24G Switch (J9776A) for IPTV Multicast dan DOV Unicast

Dear all,

As requested by customer we install HP 2530-24G Switch (J9776A) as core switch and another 13 HP 2530-24 Switch (J9782A) as distribution switches. all switches connected each other using FO.

the problem is, when the customer do a test from core switch, the hospitality tv connected to distribution switches keep freezes. the test done from notebook running vlc player connecto to streamer and than to core switch.

the configuration on core switch as follow :

console idle-timeout 300
password minimum-length 6
no telnet-server
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1-28
ip address dhcp-bootp
ip igmp
exit
spanning-tree
spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst
spanning-tree vlan 1 priority 4
no tftp server
no dhcp config-file-update
no dhcp image-file-update
device-profile name "default-ap-profile"
cos 0
exit
activate provision disable
password manager
password operator

while the confituration on distribution switches as follow :

console idle-timeout 300
password minimum-length 6
no telnet-server
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1-28
ip address dhcp-bootp
ip igmp
no ip igmp querier
exit
spanning-tree
spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst
no tftp server
no dhcp config-file-update
no dhcp image-file-update
device-profile name "default-ap-profile"
cos 0
exit
activate provision disable
password manager
password operator

Another resource said that i have to enable PIM-SM on core switch.

Can someone check my config and give me some clue ?
also, do i need PIM-SM enable ? if so, how to do it ?

thank you

P

17 REPLIES 17
akg7
HPE Pro

Re: Proper setting for Aruba HP 2530-24G Switch (J9776A) for IPTV Multicast dan DOV Unicast

Hi,

Configure: ip igmp querier on core but I suspect that ip pim command is available on Aruba 2530.

Thansk!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Prawira
Advisor

Re: Proper setting for Aruba HP 2530-24G Switch (J9776A) for IPTV Multicast dan DOV Unicast

dear akg7,

thank you for you reply,

i found that the igmp querier automatically active as soon as ip igmp active.

IGMP Service Config

Control unknown multicast [Yes] : Yes
Forced fast leave timeout [0] : 4
Delayed flush timeout [0] : 0

VLAN ID VLAN Name IGMP Enabled Querier Allowed Querier Interval
------- ------------ ------------ --------------- ----------------
1 DEFAULT_VLAN Yes Yes 120

as all the equipments (server, streamer, switches and hospitality tv) sit within one broadcast domain / one network, do i need pim-sm to be enable ? i still can not find how to do it.

thank you

P

akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

It seems you need to enable pim-dense or sparse mode but I believe there is a limitations in Aruba 2530 and it supports only IP multicast (IGMP) which prevents flooding of IP multicast traffic where as IP multicast routing includes PIM Sparse and Dense modes to route IP multicast traffic. This is supported on higher models.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Prawira
Advisor

dear akg7,

thank you for your reply answer.

i will see what will happen with our trial that suppose to be held within next 15 hours

cheers

P

Prawira
Advisor

hi all,

it seems PIM Sparse and Dense feature does not available on HP 2530

pim unavailable.jpg

therefore no way to enable it

P

akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

This is what I have mentioned in my previous post, its a limitation with this device.

Thanks!

Prawira
Advisor

dear akg7,

yes, you did mention it.

i only to make sure as i am reading about how to verify PIM Sparse and Dense

meanwhile, i am still waiting the client to do a video streaming test

P

Prawira
Advisor

Hi,

Just got an update from the client.....

sadly the freeze stil happen..

any other things that need to be checked ?

Thank you

P

akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

Do you have any higher version of Aruba switch other than Aruba HP 2530-24G Switch or log a case with support?

Thanks!