1753501 Members
4864 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: QoS queue's

gesadmin
Advisor

QoS queue's

On 2810-48G's is there a way to change which QoS priorities are assigned to each queue? We're looking at implementing VoIP and the vast majority of products will set COS/DSCP at 5/EF (46). I notice that high priority queue uses COS 6 and 7. I realize that I can create my dscp profile to make 101110 be priority 6 or 7 traffic, but I just wanted to see what my options were. Also, is the priority queue really a priority queue in that it does not participate in wrr?? What I mean by this is that if any packets are placed in the queue it will be serviced before any other queue no matter what?? Is there a way to police the bandwidth so that it does not starve the other queues?? Thanks for any help.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

To assign the qos priority for the queues

a) Map qos priority to a codepoint
qos dscp-map < codepoint > priority < 0 - 7 >

b) Depending on the type of QoS policy, assign the QoS as
i) If QoS policy is based on tcp-udp port : qos < udp-port | tcp-port > < tcp or udp port number > dscp < codepoint >
ii) If QoS policy is based on IP address : qos device-priority < ip-address > dscp < codepoint >
iii)If QoS policy is based on ToS bits: qos type-of-service diff-services < codepoint >
iv) if QoS policy is based on VLAN : vlan < vid > qos dscp < codepoint >
v) if QoS policy is based on source port: interface < port-list > qos dscp < codepoint >

You may want to consult the manual @
http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/2810.htm

Hope that helps someway
Javed
gesadmin
Advisor

Javed,

Thanks for your reply. However, it's not quite what I'm after. I completely understand how QoS can be classified and how to create a dscp-map. What I'm after is how to change what priorities are assigned to each queue. Most switch vendors will allow you to decide which priorities are assigned to each queue. For example, a Cisco switch you can assign priority 5 (critical) traffic to the priority queue and reassign the other priorities to other queues. I notice that the ProCurve's assign priority 6 and 7 traffic to the priority queue. If I can't change the queue/priority then I'll need to assign CoS 5/DSCP EF (46) traffic to priority 7 so it goes in the priority queue. Like I said, I wasn't sure if it possible, but thought I'd ask.