108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Real Quick VLAN question

SOLVED
Go to solution
ogserk
Visitor

Real Quick VLAN question

I have four (4) 1810G-24s, with several VoIP handsets connected, and PCs connected to the handsets.  Right now, they are not using VLANs to separate traffic (if I explain how they are accomplishing this, my head will explode) but I would like to VLAN the voice and data traffic.  

In the past, I have seen this done with trunking, but the 1810G only supports tagging/excluding.  Can I tag the affected ports with each VLAN, i.e. tag each port twice?  Or will I need different equipment?

3 REPLIES 3
EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Real Quick VLAN question

You can accomplish what you want with your switches. On these switches tagging/untagging/excluding is the same as trunking on other switches. The 1810 switches use the term trunking to refer to link-aggregation.

Go to VLANs and create a new VLAN.

Go to Participation / Tagging, select the new VLAN and change each port of interest from "E"xclude to "T"ag.

Basically, you want PC traffic to be untagged and voice traffic to be tagged. For example, the ports should be untagged in VLAN 1 and tagged in VLAN 2 (Voice).

You will need to make sure the uplink is also configured correctly. Likely the same as the user ports.

ogserk
Visitor

Apprecaite the clarification and instructions; given my explanation below, am I understanding this correctly?

So right now, there is no VLAN (except the default VLAN, as I understand it) and all the ports are marked "U" for Untagged in the GUI.  I would create a 'voice' VLAN on the switch, then Tag those ports that had voice devices attached to them; if I do that, will that still let 'default VLAN' traffic over those tagged ports?  (The majority of the endpoints are phones with PC's piggybacked through the phone).  

EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

You got it.