1753953 Members
7770 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Recommended arp and mac-age-time timeoutsettings

Sjbauer
Occasional Contributor

Recommended arp and mac-age-time timeoutsettings

We are in the process of moving most of our network over from Cisco switches to to Procurve E5400 series of switches and was wondering what the recommended arp and mac-age-time setting are?

Generally in the cisco world one wanted the mac-age-time to be longer then the arp-timeout so that there would be less flooding of unicast packets on the network.  Does this apply to hp gear as well?  The reason I ask is that the default mac-age-time is 300 seconds which the default arp time is 20 minutes.

Thanks!

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
Helper
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Following my own eperience, i do not modify anything if the network is not subject to strange behaviours.

Maybe i short time testing with defaut setting could be interesting for you. But if you are aware of identified problems in relation with these settings, then you can try to modify them from scratch.

mac-age-time <60-999960> - default 300

ip arp-age <1-1440>/infinite - default to be check in the documentation ... sorry

Bye,

Sjbauer
Occasional Contributor

Normally, shouldn't the mac-age be longer than the arp timeout so that one doesn't start flooding unicast packets on the network?

Steve