New Discussion

Redundancy on 2 switch 2930M

SOLVED
Go to solution
ITGUY78
Established Member

Redundancy on 2 switch 2930M

Hello community,

I actually have a 2930m 48port on my clustered (actif/passif) firewall .

As i need more port, i could make a stack of 2930, unfortunatly it's not possible because the room is full.

So i just connected an other 2930 via fiber / spf extension card. 

Actually i'm thinking how i could avoid total loss of connectivity from the second switch if the first one gone.

As i still have free port on the firewall cluster i was thinking to connect the new switch also to the cluster firewall. So Each of the two switch will be in double attachement (rj45) to the cluster firewall.

What kind of configuration should i use for that purpose ? as each switch will have a link to the gateway.. i'm afraid about make a loop.

Is that a good design ?

Thank you for your help

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
-Alex-
HPE Pro

Re: Redundancy on 2 switch 2930M

Hello ITGUY78,

If you have two bridge (l2) connections to the firewall and have STP enabled one of the connections will be disabled if the other is up. 

Hope this helps!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Technically speaking a two members stack (backplane/frontplane, it doesn't matter) can't be deployed with a ring interconnection topology...but you could "see" the chain interconnection topology as a sort of a ring (even if it isn't really a ring).

With three members, when you reconnect back the third member with the first one...you are going to create - de facto - a ring.

In both case (backplane/frontplane stacking) plan to use more than one physical member for the logical interconnection ports to enhance inter-switch resiliency and bandwidth (this translates into frontplane VSF port made with more than one physical member interface and with backplane stacking deployed using a pair of stacking cables between your two switches).

I Haq
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor
Solution

With regards to Aruba 2930M (backplane) stacking, start with reading its Aruba 2930M Switches Installation and Getting Started Guide (Chapter 3, "Stacking information and topologies" paragraph) for an overview of stacking topologies then read the Chapter 9 "Stack Management" of Aruba 2930F/2930M Advanced Traffic Management Guide for ArubaOS-Switch 16.08.

I Haq
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi @Ihaqueit : next time please DO CITE the sources you used (better: DO NOT SIMPLY COPY AND PASTE what others wrote in other Threads/Communities WITHOUT at least writing that IS NOT YOUR WORK). Is creating a link really too difficult than an abrupt copy&paste?

My references you easily copied and pasted here can be found here.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner