New Discussion

Replacement of HP 3400cl

SOLVED
Go to solution
LouisSWINNEN
Occasional Contributor

Replacement of HP 3400cl

Hello,

In our infrastructure, we have 1 HP 3400cl (24x10/100/1000 Mbps) that is used for static routing just behind our firewall. This switch interconnect two main campus with more 1500 students each and 8 VLANs.

My problem is that this old HP 3400cl doesn't work anymore (all leds are on ... nothing else works). So we decide to replace it. We set up temporarily an HP V1910-24G (because we have some spare units) but we quickly reach the limit of the ARP table. So I'm looking for a switch that have gigabits ports, manageable, with static routing and more than 256 entries for the ARP table ... I'm quite lost between all HP models ... I've seen that HP 3500yl (official replacement of 3400cl) could be interesting but the gigabit version comes with PoE ports (not very useful for me), and is quite expansive.

Did you have some ideas about other models ? is 3500yl the only right choice ?

Thank you,

Louis SWINNEN.

Moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based

2 REPLIES 2
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Replacement of HP 3400cl

Hi Louis,

If you want to get best response on this, try the new ProCurve forum http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProCurve-ProVision-Based/bd-p/switching-e-series-forum

The 3500 & 3800 are the replacements in the same range, but you're right about the PoE side of things. Keep in mind that all ProCurve switches carry a lifetime warranty, so you can call HP and get them to replace your 3400.

Probably the next best option for you would be a 2910 (J9145A) or one of the Comware line such as the 5500EI (JD377A).

It's a bit out of date, but the HP switch selector has some useful functionality in helping you find the right switch: http://h17007.www1.hp.com/au/en/products/switches/selector/
Regards,
Paul
LouisSWINNEN
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: Replacement of HP 3400cl

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answer. I've moved my question to the ProCurve section of this forum. I'll look for the proposed model and check if it matches our needs.

Regards,

Louis SWINNEN.