1752789 Members
5860 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Reset and clear a HP ProCurve 2510G-48

anymal1926

Reset and clear a HP ProCurve 2510G-48

Hello, 

I'm tring to reset to factory a HP ProCurve 2510G-48 but i cant.

I read the manual :

To execute the factory default reset, perform these steps:
1. Using pointed objects, simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear
buttons on the front of the switch.
2. Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button.
3. When the Self Test LED begins to flash, release the Clear button.
The switch will then complete its self test and begin operating with the
configuration restored to the factory default settings.

I do this, but when i try to connect with the RS232 via COM 3 with this option :

■ Baud rate: 9600
■ No parity
■ 8 Bits
■ 1 stop bit
■ No flow control

i have no response.

Can i have some advice, please ?

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for my english, i speak french :)

Bye

3 REPLIES 3
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Reset and clear a HP ProCurve 2510G-48

Do you get any messages on the serial port when you power cycle the switch? If it appears to go through the self tests (e.g. flash LEDs in sequence) and you have no messages on the serial port, then I would assume that your serial configuration has a problem.

S0-3

Take a paper clip and bend the ends so the pointed tips form a Y. Push in the reset and clear at the same time. Then keep the clear pushed in and release pressure off the reset. Let it go through the power on self-test. This will erase any set passwords. Once you are in, erase startup-config in Global configuration mode.This will scrap the startup-config. Switch is all yours.

AM70
Visitor

The procedure described above works fine UNLESS...  the previous admin changed the behavior of the Reset + Clear buttons.  The documentation indicates that this can be done, but does NOT explain how to 'hard reset' the switch if the previous admin has done this.
     In my case, this was apparernetly done to the used 2510G-48 I purchased.  When I perform the factory reset procedure (holding both the RESET and CLEAR buttons until the the TEST light blinks, and then releasing only the RESET button) the system behaves as described, but after the test successfully completes, the console session displays a custom message and asks for a password, which obviously I don't know.  The console session is clearly communicating, but the factory reset doesn't clear the requirement for a password or the password itself.  There MUST be a way to hard reset the switch in case the console password is lost, but I can't find it in the documentation.  Does anyone know how to do this?   Thx!