3833 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMPv3 restriction

newi
Visitor

SNMPv3 restriction

Hey,

I want to configure an HP Switch 2530 to SNMPv3 only access. After enabling SNMPv3 and creating an user the following question appears:

Would you like to restrict SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c messages to have read onlyaccess (you can set this later by the command 'snmp restrict-access'). 

What is the difference to the command "SNMPv3 only"?

Is the command "SNMPv3 only" sufficient to access the switch only over SNMPv3?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

Which software version you are using in HP Switch 2530.?

Generally,  restrict access to only SNMPv3 agents by using the snmpv3 only command.

To restrict write-access to only SNMPv3 agents, use the snmpv3 restricted-access command

snmpv3 enable --> Enabling switch for access from SNMPv3 agents -->This includes the creation of the initial user record.

snmpv3 only --> Enabling  restrictions to access from only SNMPv3 agents --> When enabled, the switch rejects all non-SNMPv3 messages.

Thank You!

I am an HPE Employee

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
newi
Visitor

Thank you for your response!

The software version of the HP Switch 2530 is YA.15.18.0008.

That's a section of the config file:

snmp-server community "public" unrestricted
snmpv3 enable
snmpv3 only
snmpv3 restricted-access

Does the command 'snmpv3 only' overrides the command 'snmp-server community "public" unrestricted'?

akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

I don't think so it will override.

Role of both is different.

Kindly follow link, I believe it will be helpful:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59903016e7_ch10.pdf

Thank You!

I am an HPE Employee

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
parnassus
Honored Contributor

I suggest you to update your HP 2530 firmware to newer YA.16.0x software branches (e.g. YA.16.06 with latest YA.16.06.0008 released few days ago)...especially if you care about SNMPv3 related fixed bugs and general Switch series security.

YA.15.18.0008 is about 3 Years old now.

You can then follow the ArubaOS-Switch Hardening Guide for 16.06 (SNMPv1,v2 versus SNMPv3 at page 12) to secure SNMPv3 related configuration (it should also be valid for older versions).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner