1753404 Members
6961 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: STP disconnect firewall LAN port

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

This command has to be used very carefully, but it can be very useful at connection points/borders where there are mismatched (or unknown) STP settings coming together. It can cause problems and it almost certainly won't work if you have multiple connections.

On the ProCurve port where the connection is coming in:

spanning-tree 24 bpdu-filter
Vale0
Advisor

Perhaps there may be problems due to incorrect setup Ethernet Dual Port Broadcom 5720 NetStreme

pepinpepe
Occasional Advisor

Hi Richard,

Thanks for answering. What do you mean by:

"there are mismatched (or unknown) STP settings coming together"

On the other hand

spanning-tree 24 bpdu-filter

Where do you propose to apply, LAN firewall port (2910) or WAN firewall port switch (2610). Firewall works in bridge mode and  it doesn't use STP, I mean, it only forwards BPDUs from one to antoher switch port. If I filter BPDU I will have two different STP trees, one for the border switch (router port and WAN firewall port) and another for the rest of switches (all connected to the firewall LAN by one port of 2910 switch), no?

Best Regards and thanks.

pepinpepe
Occasional Advisor

Hi 16again,

So you think it is a problem of speed and cable, no? The strange for me is that the problem had only happened three times (one in 2014, one in 2015 and another in 2016 with the the same effects and logs)  and if the cable or speed adjustment are bad, it shouldn't happen more often?

Thanks again for tour early answer.