4588 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

SWITCH AND VLAN HELP.

lloyd99
Occasional Visitor

SWITCH AND VLAN HELP.

Hi 

I am a newbie and not really an expert on switches but have some basic understanding but keen to learn more.

We have an hpe core switch in our main building which has multiple vlans configured onto it. the core switch then feeds into the end switch 2930F stack of 4  through a fibre which comes from the core switch and plugs into the commander sfp port. Now the plan is to install another stack of 4 2930F into another location which will then be connected to the core switch using a fibre cable which is already in place and good to go.

The question; How do I setup the new 4 stack, and how do I ensure that this new stack has all the vlans already configured on the existing 4 stack currently operational.

A detail help will be greatly appreciated.

best regards

1 REPLY 1
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: SWITCH AND VLAN HELP.

Hello, 

If I understand correctly you want to make sure that the fibre uplink between the new stack and the core is carrying the same VLANs which are carried at the moment between the existing stack and the core?

On the existing stack you can enter the following command to chech the VLAN membership of the uplink port.

switch#show vlan port <port-id> detail

This will display a table with VLANs IDs, VLAN names, status and very important the mode as untagged or tagged. Then based on this you can replicate the same configuration on the uplink of the new stack.

Another option is to use the following command specifying the port ID of the uplink of the existing stack.

switch#show running-config interface <port-id>

It will show you the running config of the interface including the VLAN memberships.

Then on the new stack you can add the vlan memberships to the uplink port with the following commands

switch#config

switch(config)# interface <port-nr> untagged vlan <vlan-id>

switch(config)# interface <port-nr> tagged vlan <vlan-id>

On the core switch you should do the same because the VLAN configuration on both sides of the uplink must match. 

This is the VLAN configuration of the fibre uplink port. For downlinks to end devices you typically make the port tagged or untagged member of the VLAN it should belong to. Most of the end devices like PCs dont support tagging and need to be in a single VLAN so their port should be configured as untagged in the respective VLAN. If you have an IP phone with a PC behind it which belong to different VLANs, you make the port typically tagged in the voice VLAN and untagged in the data VLAN .

If you have other infrastructure devices connected to the stack,  like smaller switches or APs which support VLANs you should configure their ports with untagged and tagged VLANs depending on which VLANs should be supported, in a similar way as the uplink port.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo