108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sending the vlan details over layer 3 device

Chathura
Occasional Visitor

Sending the vlan details over layer 3 device

Hello Guys.

Here's my issue.

As attached, I have two network connected with Router 1 and Router 2. Server A need to communicate with Server B and both are configured with same vlan ID in switch 1 and 2 . Since the router discards the vlan tagging. 

Problem is how can I configure router 1 uplink to pass the vlan tag when it send the ip packet to Router 2 ? 

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Simon_K
Occasional Advisor

Hello Chathura,

in my opinion your setup is not possible, because "Site A" will not send packets to default gateway within his own subnet.

Option A: You have to setup another subnet on one site.
Option B: You have to maskerade subnets on both sites.
Option C: You have to setup pseudo wire on both routers.

I have not so much time to explain in detail. So you have to check documentation or the web

Chathura
Occasional Visitor

Hi Simon_K,

Thank you for your time on this. Actually I wanted to know whether layer 3 switch has a configuration to pass vlan details to its uplink ? (frame headerswith vlan details to other layer 3 device)

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

On the face of it, there is nothing wrong with that setup. The routers do not need to use any VLAN config on their inter-link.

You should develop your diagram to include IP addressing and VLAN configuration for the LAN side of each network - the router interfaces and the switch interfaces. Where is the default gateway for hosts on each of the 10. networks?

With that additional information we could advise on whether you have a design problem.