Re: Slow ping speed from an HP2520

RenatoV
Occasional Contributor

Slow ping speed from an HP2520

Hi

I have a site with 3 switches.

1x 2520

2 x 2610

One 2610 act as the core switch and the other two connect to the dual personality Gig ports for uplinks. The 2520 has terrible ping rates to devices on the network and even to the other two switches. The ping spikes from 6ms up to 100ms when I ping any device on the network. I have even replaced the switch (2520) with a brand new one and still have the same issue. I have replaced the uplink cable and even tried different uplink ports on itself and the 2610 without any improvement. When I run the latest firmware it makes it worse.  The other two switches don't have this issue, they ping at a constant 1ms.

It is a very simple design with only 2 Vlan's, 1 Data and 1 Voice.

Any idea what can be causing this?

This is the 2520's config:

ip default-gateway 192.168.0.150
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.150
snmp-server community "public" unrestricted
vlan 1
   name "DATA"
   untagged 1-28
   ip address 192.168.0.152 255.255.255.0
   exit
vlan 2
   name "Voice"
   tagged 1-28
   ip address 172.16.0.152 255.255.255.0
   qos priority 6
   voice
   exit
loop-protect 1-28
loop-protect disable-timer 600
password manager
password operator

8 REPLIES 8
Matcol
Frequent Advisor

You seem to have IP routing enabled on it.

Why?

Disable IP routing on all switches but the core.

Chrisd131313
Trusted Contributor

Hi RenatoV,

If you ping from a device to anothe device across your switches, do you still get high ping responses? I only ask as the switch management interfaces are not designed to respond at line rate.  You may well get spiked responses when pinging to/from switch management interfaces. have a read of the article below...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=51081&prodTypeId=12883&objectID=c03251146

Take the switch IP out of the equation and ping from end to end, if you are still getting high ping responses and none of your links are saturated then there may well be an issue somewhere, but if end to end pings are as expected <1ms then everything is working as expeceted.

HTH

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to mark a post resolved if your question was answered.
RenatoV
Occasional Contributor

hi Matcol

IP routing is not on. The 2520 is a layer 2 switch. The feature is not available.

RenatoV
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chrisd131313

The pings are fine from devices connected on the other switches. Trying to get someone onsite that is connected to the 2520 switch to ping end to end. Will let you know.
YenLin
Frequent Advisor

Hi , in our environment, we also have same high latency problem

There are 2520G-8 J9298A(IOS:J.14.61), 2620 J9627A (IOS:RA.15.09.0008HR3).

If you can provide any method that can solve our problem, I would appreciate it a lot.

YenLin
Frequent Advisor

Ping test form end to end in our environment is much better than to that switch.
End to end max is 71ms.
If I directly ping to that switch, it showed max 386 ms
HPGuruUK
Occasional Advisor

Guys,

Did anyone find a solution to this?

I have a number of 2530's doing this and it's driving me nuts!!!!!!

Now I have done a ping test from device to device via the 2530 and ping tests are clear/good, but when pinging the switch mgmt IP its poor, now I dont know if this is a real problem or not but I have never seen this in the amount of switches I have ever installed......so are we looking at an issue that really isn't there?......
P_Tech
Occasional Advisor

We have 6 x 2530 switches which is configured for multiple Vlans..  we have also the same issue that ping repond is taking too long.. the average is 10-30ms. Initially we thought its an network issue and we did couple of testing that disabled all the port from all the switches and just used the uplink, the problem was there. then I thought it might something with the UPLINK, so I directly connected some of the switches to the Core and result is same. upgraded the firmware of the COre and these switches. no good sign at all.

And I can confirm that its clrealy a switch issue, either the firmware or the hardware itself. We have some 2626 switches those also connected to the network, which work perfect!!!

I dont understand why did they replaced 2900 series switch.. it was really good!!!

Interesting!!!