1751767 Members
4667 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Swapping Out HP J4813A ProCurve Switch 2524 for a Aruba 2530 24 port

StuinDresden
Occasional Contributor

Swapping Out HP J4813A ProCurve Switch 2524 for a Aruba 2530 24 port

Hi, I am quite new to Aruba Switches, and need some pointers in regard to what to look out for when replacing. 

I have copied like for like in regard to general and VLAN settings, the only things which are different are the IP addresses for the original and new VLAN switch default VLAN IPs. Should I make ALL the VLAN IPs the same?

I have a live system and obviously want to avoid things going awry, If I have copied settings like for like, what else is there to consider before swapping them out?

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Swapping Out HP J4813A ProCurve Switch 2524 for a Aruba 2530 24 port

Hello, considering you're going to swap two switches basically similar (in terms of OS they are based of) the best thing you could do is to do a like-for-like comparison of their current (and saved) runnning configurations. Sort of a diff of running configuration of the Old switch versus the running configuration of the New switch. Probably you will find some rows (configurations) jumping in but it really depends on software releases involved.

Technically if - at some point - you're going to switch off the old in favour of the new one...there will be necessarily a downtime (minutes I would say)...if so the new switch should - correctly - impersonate the old switch (especially in terms of its IP on the VLAN you're using to reach it for management...other than for all the remaining parts of the switch configuration) and the IP you're referring about should thus be the previous one used. If, instead, you're going to setup the new side-by-side with the old one...they necessarily have different IPs if you want a sort of stepped transitions of edge device from the old one to the new one (Clearly both need to be connected to your network and fully "working").

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner