1752636 Members
6077 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Transferring big files slow down the network

JamesL
Contributor

Transferring big files slow down the network

I am novices , please advise what can i do for this problem when some user transfer big files (TB) from PC to server, slow down the entire network.  Is affecting others and we are using a 48port 3800 managed switches.  I sure there is something can be enable/disable or configure on the switch to make sure such activities dows not affect other users.  Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Transferring big files slow down the network

Hello, please elaborate a little bit more what you mean with "slow down the entire network".

What do you mean with "entire network"?

Do you really mean that any connection to any host within your entire LAN (eventually, through your local default gateway, with Internet too) is slowing down OR do you really mean that only connections from any host to the Server are slowing down?

If the former case is true then there is something very strange actually going on whitin your network since a file transfer generated by one host to/from Server (seen as another host) can saturate involved ports bandwitdhs but shouldn't slown down other traffic managed by your Switch.

If the latter case is true (only connections from any host to your Server WHEN an host is uploading/downloading big files to it) then the culprit could be (1) that the Server's NIC (Network Interface Card) isn't able to sustain other sessions (queueing them) while it's serving the data transfer sessions related to the upload/download from that particular host (so, literally, that host is "saturating" the NIC physical port of the Server)...and/or (2) the Server is unable to sustain workload generated by such files transfers.

Questions to answer:

• Which Server type you have (Manufacturer/Model)?
  • Which NIC it has?
  • How many physical ports the Server NIC has?
  • What OS the Server is operating?
  • What services that Server is serving to your hosts?
  • How it is connected to the LAN (single link, aggregated link)?
  • What is the Network topology of you entire network?
  • What exact Model your Switch is?
  • What software version your Switch is currently running on?
  • Can you reproduce the issue? I mean: it happens exactly and only when that host (or any other choosen randomly) performs that file transfer action?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
JamesL
Contributor

Thanks for responding and pointing out the different issues.  I'm now sure the is the host server issue. Is there any thing i can do to improve this?

My file server running as a hyper-v guest(Win2012R2) in windows hyper-v server (W2012R2).  I using HP BL460c with 4NICs, 1 for management and 3 team as virtual NIC.

The server is connected to HP3800 switch as default, there are no special configuration except VLAN.  So i believe is single link and not aggregated link.

Yes, everytime a user upload a large files,  it slow down.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

JamesL wrote: My file server running as a hyper-v guest(Win2012R2) in windows hyper-v server (W2012R2).  I using HP BL460c with 4NICs, 1 for management and 3 team as virtual NIC.

It's not clear:

• HP BL460c: which Generation? is it updated (OS for SMB I mean, Device Drivers - especially NIC related - and devices Firmwares)?
  • 4 NICs: you mean 1 NIC with 4 ports? so 1 port links goes to 3800 in a VLAN (Management) and the others 3 physical ports are aggregated in a OS generated teamed (virtual) port? if so...which type of port teaming? Switch dependant (Static or LACP?) or - bad - Switch independant?
  • How is the HPE 3800 configuration related to those four ports used above?

JamesL wrote: The server is connected to HP3800 switch as default, there are no special configuration except VLAN.  So i believe is single link and not aggregated link.

It's not clear: Are you using the Management VLAN (as you wrote above it's using a NIC single port link to the HPE 3800, isn't it?) to perform file transfers?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner