Aruba & ProVision-based
1748218 Members
4439 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trunking 1800-24G (j9028A) and 2920-48G (j929A)

adelgado
Frequent Advisor

Trunking 1800-24G (j9028A) and 2920-48G (j929A)

Hello,

I'd like to link one 1800 with a 2920 via two ProCurve Gigabit-SX-LC mini-GBIC (J4858C).

I have the latest firmware on both switches, and following matrix document for this mini-GBIC, both are compatible.

I've set up a trunk lacp on 2920 on ports 45-47, and a trunk on 1800 on ports 23-24.

But there is no connectivity among them. I've tried to change on 1800 from trunk to LACP, bu the same. BTW, on 1800 when I inserted the mini-GBIC, there is no led enable. Could it be that the 1800 has mini-GBIC ports broken?

Regards,

Senior Systems Administrator
3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Trunking 1800-24G (j9028A) and 2920-48G (j929A)

The issue is probably on the SFP Transceivers used on the HP ProCurve 1800-24G (J9028A) side...well before the Port Trunk (with/without LACP) configuration plays a role...you need to troubleshoot why your two *genuine* [*] J4858C installed on J9028A aren't working as you expect.

Only then...you can start worrying about Port Trunking configurations on each end.

[*] clearly all four J4858C SFP Transceivers must be *genuine*...even if on the Aruba 2920 (if running latest 16.02 branch) some *non genuine* Transceivers are admitted/recognized by the software (there is a specific command to invoke for that).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
adelgado
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Well, I finally configured the trunk on both switches as type trunk, and it woks.

But, I have no clear understanding between the diference among LACP and TRUNK trunk types.

Could you help me?

The other swtiches I have configured, 2530, 2824, are set as trunk type.

Regards,

Senior Systems Administrator
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Well...if you take your time and read the Chapter 5 "Port Trunking" of the HPE ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide for YA/YB.16.02 manual you will find a lot of valid informations about what is a "Port Trunk" (in the HP/HPE/Aruba jargon) and what are the differences between setting up a Static Trunk (Protocol: none also called "Trunk") versus setting up a Dynamic Trunk (Protocol: LACP IEEE802.3ad also called "Dynamic").

These informations can be found also in the old 1800-24G configuration guide...because Port Trunking requires basically always the same configuration procedure (and has basically the same restrictions <-- which are very important to understand before starting any configuration). So any HP ProCurve/HP Comware manual with a Chapter devoted to Port Trunking or Link Aggregation is good to go.

A note: the "Trunk" Port Type property is generally set to the (logical) port that identifies the LAG (Link Aggregation Group...sometime the LAG name is something like "Trkn" where n is the LAG Index number, so the "Trk1" name could be a good example of a LAG name here)...The "Trunk" Port Type property means that that (logical) "Trk1" port should not be configured as an Hybrid or as an Access port type but exactly as a "Trunk" port type.

So the "Trunk" property (set on the LAG to impose it will not use a Protocol - so the LAG will be Static) and the "Trunk" Port Type property (used to declare the type of Logical port the LAG is) sometime create confusion because the same name ("Trunk") is used in different places with different meanings...but, once you know what the HP Port Trunking terminology/jargon represents (and where it applies), you should be fine.

This to say that you (1) define a LAG by creating the logical port then (2) set the Static/Dynamic (so Trunk/LACP) and (3) add to this LAG the physical member ports you need (see restrictions and guidelines)...finally (4) you set the (logical) LAG port type to be a "Trunk" port type...eventually - at very end - you then define which VLAN IDs to permit to flow through this LAG logical port (all VLAN IDs or just only some VLAN IDs).

If you want to go further you can compare Comware based documentation versus ProCurve based documentation in describing "Port Trunking": you will end with a broader vision about what Port Trunking refers to...and you will understand that terms like "Trunk", "LACP", "Static" and "Dynamic" are simply recurring and the configuration procedures are always basically similar.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner