8520 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Trunking (aggregating) two PTP links

Michael_Koch
Occasional Visitor

Trunking (aggregating) two PTP links

Hi all!

I have two ProCurve 2810-24G switches, connected by a IP PTP microwave link.

The link is configured/monitored through a Web GUI and does not have a separate management port, but I have separated the management traffic by using a VLAN.

Now I try to increase bandwidth by adding a second microwave link. I have created a LACP trunk which works fine, but now II can not access the GUI anymore, because the Web Server of the link is "inside" the trunk.

Any idea how I can aggregate the bandwidth of the two PTP links and still keep the GUI accessible?

Best Regards,

Michael

5 REPLIES 5
Arimo
Respected Contributor

Re: Trunking (aggregating) two PTP links

Hi Michael

LACP works with point-to-point connections. I don't think aggregating like this is possible in the first place - but I might be wrong.

Did you actually create a Secure Management VLAN, or did you just choose that you use VLAN X for management and no other traffic?

If you created a mgmt VLAN you must note that the switch can only be managed through the mgmt VLAN. Let's assume your microwave link is on ports 10 and 11 on both switches, and the trunk is tagged in management VLAN. If you have no additional ports in this VLAN you will not be able to manage the switches. Traffic cannot be routed into or out of it, you can only manage it through ports which are actually part of the mgmt VLAN.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
Michael_Koch
Occasional Visitor

Hi Arimo!

Thank you for your fast reply!

VLAN 100 is my MGMT VLAN. Port 1 is mapped to VLAN ID 100 (untagged). MGMT of the PTP units is also tagged to VLAN 100.

Ports 22 and 24 are tagged to VLAN 100 and the other existing VLANs.

With just one PTP connected to port 24 everything works fine. All VLANs are carried across the PTP and I can access all MGMT.

When I connect the second PTP to port 22 and configure ports 22 and 24 as trunk, I loose the connection to the PTP MGMT.

Here is a little drawing of the setup (hope it helps ;)

MGMT (VLAN100)            MGMT (VLAN100)

|                                             |

22 ------| PTP1| . . . . . . . . . . . . .  |PTP2|------ 22

MGMT (VLAN100)            MGMT (VLAN100)

|                                             |

24 ------| PTP3| . . . . . . . . . . . . .  |PTP4|------ 24

Best Regards,

Michael

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Arimo, i think Michael means the management interface of the microwave devices.
Regards,
Paul
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

I agree with Arimo. I don't think what you're trying to do is possible. You need microwave devices with a separate management interface that is not part of the LACP trunk. Something like a Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 might be a good choice, depending on your requirements.
Regards,
Paul
besc
Advisor

Hello Michael,

I hope you won't mind sharing how you manage to configure your switches to accommodate your PTP solution. I have trouble making it work. I'm using Ubiquiti Nanobeam AC and I assume it's pretty similar as per the switches' configurations.

Cheers!

Bar