8271 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unsupported SFP J9299A Procurve

scsikid
Occasional Visitor

Unsupported SFP J9299A Procurve

Hi there,

My home service provider delivers fibre optic to my home with a gateway of their own. I went to plug in the SFP provided to my HP ProCurve 2520G-PoE J9299A switch and I get "Unsupported SFP" I've seen similar errors with cisco, gear but have found work arounds. I've tried all that I can, is there a way to get this switch to ignore the fact that its not an HP SFP?  Or do I have to go back to a cisco switch?

Thanks for any help.

8 REPLIES 8
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Unsupported SFP J9299A Procurve

Either use an HP SFP or get a 3rd-party SFP from a vendor that confirms that it is correctly coded for HP.

The correct part number is probably J4858C.

nikl
Visitor

so there is no way to work around this correct?

from what i know of what others have told me about bell canada and gpon services, the mac address is authenticated by the provider, therefore any other sfp would not work other then the one provided by the service provider.

Linkk
Frequent Advisor

You can enable unsupported SFPs in larger switch series but not in 2520.

The MAC address is not bound to the sfp or the switch in which the SFP is. The MAC address is bound to the interface of your routing device.

So there should not be a problem, if you buy a supported SFP. Just buy the same that you got from your ISP (same wavelength, etc.)

nikl
Visitor

Interesting well the unit Bell gave me is NOKIA GPON ONT SFP G-010S-P I was told by someone on DSL reports that the provider binds the adapter to their equipment OLT? I would have thought by mac address. 

If there is an HP compatible SFP that you might know of, I'd be happy to try it. This switch has all the features I'm looking for, but just wont work with this SFP which sort of renders it a bit useless to me at the moment.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

There is no MAC address on the SFP, all it does is operate at Layer1 - the frames are built by the switch.

I have had many requirements for SFP types that HP don't even make. You have to go to the 3rd-party vendor and tell them to code the SFP for the particular switch you want to put it in. It's a very simple request and I have had many hundreds of 3rd-party SFPs coded for use in HP.

nikl
Visitor

Thanks for your reply Vince. Do you think you could make a recomendation on what I should purchase to work with my hp switch in place of my current Bell provided SFP? I don't mind getting the SFP encoded, I just don't know what encoding to request.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

First step, if you have a technical contact at Bell, or an account manager who knows what s/he's talking about, ring them and tell them, "I've replaced my router with an HP model XXX and was wondering if you could get the SFP re-coded for use in the HP".

They will either understand exactly what you're talking about, or they won't.

If Bell can't help, try the manufacturer of the SFP, or their local distributor.

Buying a new SFP should be your final fallback. It's all about the local distributor or the SFP manufacturer understanding the concept of coding an SFP so it works in the HP.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

HPE doesn't have GPON optics at all, so you would always need a third-party one. But it would have to be encoded with the specific ProCurve v2 vendor ID to work in those older switches that don't have the allow-unsupported-transceiver.