New Discussion юеВ

Unsupported Transceiver

SOLVED
Go to solution
lgr45
Occasional Advisor

Unsupported Transceiver

Hello,
I have a lot of procurves and haruba swithes on my company (around 40 devices)
And I used transceiver J4858C and J4858D without any trouble before.
I've just bought 8 new ones J4858D, and I have trouble to use it.
each time I plug it, I obtain message Unsupported Transceiver in the log.

If i put the old ones C or D, it works fine.
do you have any idea ?

10 REPLIES 10
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Unsupported Transceiver

J4858C or J4858D are just product SKUs that are used by other vendors (nor Aruba neither HP/HPE) to promote their SFP Transceivers as "replacements" of genuine ones...so reporting new/old J4858C/J4858D SKUs means almost nothing if you also don't concurrently verify if they are all ORIGINAL made by HP/HPE/Aruba and not simply replacements made by other vendors (check visually and also through the output of the show tech transceivers command).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
lgr45
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your answer.
I've a bought those at the same company as usual for 8 years.
It's original from HP/aruba devices, there are the HP Aruba sticker, packaging... visually it's full HP device.

Transceiver Technical Information:
Port # | Type | Prod # | Serial # | Part #
-------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------
9 | ?? | ?? | unsupported |

This switch only supports revision B and above transceivers.
Check: www.hp.com/rnd/device_help/2_inform for more info.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Well...on what exact Switch SKU and Switch's OS Software version your original SFP Transceivers are experiencing issue?

I'm not an HPE Employee
lgr45
Occasional Advisor

I tested on few switches...

2530-8G (J9774A) : YA.15.16.0006

2530-8G (J9777A) :  YA.15.12.0007

2530-24G (J9776A) :  YA.15.10.0003

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Technically speaking original (genuine) J4858C and J4858D SFP Transceiver SKUs are both supported on any HP/HPE/Aruba 2530 Switch series's system software version (source: the ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX Transceivers Guide): your ones look quite old but transceivers under test should be recognized flawlessly and they should work...a test you can do is to upgrade one Switch system software (let me say the one running YA.15.10.0003) to latest YA.16.09.0003 and see if J4858C/J4858D are finally recognized as we all expect (I'm sure latest software on Aruba 2540 supports older genuine J4858B...personally tested).

I'm not an HPE Employee
lgr45
Occasional Advisor

I agree with you, the last devices C and D (bought 1 year ago) worked fine with those 3 switches, but the last 8 transceiver don't work on those switches (and with 2 other bought last week too with the 8 trasnceiver).

I had to put those 2 switches in another bulding 2 days ago, so helpfully I had 1 C and 1 D worked fine with the new switches, just trying to understand the trouble with those 8 new transceivers D bought.

I'll try to update like you say, but right now it works fine with the last C transceiver. (I've still a last one C found this morning)
I'm really thinking about bad transceiver received with right sticker D, but inside with another transceiver (error during making ???)

lgr45
Occasional Advisor

same trouble after the update firmware.
I 'll send it back to my vendor. And will buy new one somewhere else.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Would be really interesting to see some shots of problematic transceivers...those genuine have a box sealed with HPE/Aruba stamp anti-countrfit and are labelled in a very recognizable way (HPE/Aruba graphics)...if you are used to genuine HP, HPE or Aruba...you see a fake one no matter how far it is from you.

I'm not an HPE Employee
lgr45
Occasional Advisor

You're right, all was OK stamp anti, sticker on the transceiver, for me all was real aruva/HP devices.
I've contacted my vendor and sent it back to have new ones.  manufacturing error ?
thanks for your help and answers. I'll keep you inform when I'll received the new ones.