1751898 Members
5955 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updating firmware on 2920

Tony_HPE1
Occasional Visitor

Updating firmware on 2920

I purchased an old Aruba 2920 from a company that replaced it with a newer 2930.

After logging onto the management portal, it looks like the switch has not been updated for some time. When I go to the HPE networking firmware site, there are many different firmware patches that are newer than the Aruba's current firmware.

My queston is: can I simply download the latest firmware patch or do I have to download every single one in succession from oldest to newest to get everything up to date?

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Greetings! generally you can perform a single-step upgrade from your actual software version to the latest of each software branch recently - I mean during 2019 - released (16.0x where, actually, x=2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9...the higher the number the larger number of new features it supports with respect to lower numbers...in other terms if you want to be conservative do perfer 16.02, if you want the latest cutting edge go with 16.09)...if your actual software version is really old it's very probable that BootROM will automatically be upgraded (first) too...thus a dual reboot will happen (Check Release Notes).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Tony_HPE1
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Parnassus. I am relatively new to the Aruba OS world, so what would be the best way to download the patch and install it on the switch? Can I do it directly from the web management console or do I have to go through the CLI using something like putty?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi! I'm used to update through Console via SSH/Telnet (or Serial if I want to see boot process messages)...I like to see what is happening...and, at least for me, it is really a matter of few minutes.

Provided that you have management access via IP (and if you already reach the Web GUI you have it for sure) you need to:

• To setup a TFTP Server on your local PC or in a convenient host which can be reached by (pay attention to operating system's firewall) the Switch
  • Write Memory with write memory
  • Backup your running configuration to a safe place (if you care about it).
  • Check Switch to TFTP Host connectivity and viceversa
  • Place the downloaded SWI file on the TFTP Root or whatever is the TFTP Directory.
  • Check (I know, I'm paranoid...but better safe than sorry) md5/sha256 hash of SWI file with ones published (so you're sure that SWI file is OK)...the way you do depends on Host's OS.
  • Switch side is a matter of invoking a copy flash tftp-ip-address SWI-file-name secondary (to copy directly into Secondary Flash Memory Area [*])
  • The command above will flash the Secondary Flash Memory Area with the new software (and if BootROM [**] update is required it will take care to update it too -> this step will require a first automatic reboot, software will be updated after this reboot and another reboot will required too to complete the whole procedure)
  • Start the upgrade/update procedure with boot flash secondary command (this command will tell the switch to boot next from the Secondary Flash Memory Area where the SWI file was just flashed)
  • Wait for the prompt again (check with ping) or, if you're connected via Serial Console too, wait to see the procedure to terminate.
  • Check the Secondary Flash Memory Area with the verify signature flash secondary command (you can do the same on Primary using the primary option)
  • Once done, check all is OK...if so the last step is to let both memory areas to match: do a copy flash flash primary (this command will tell the switch to copy the actual flash - which is the updated Secondary - to the Primary...), check the final result with show flash and show version commands.
  • All done. If you're fast it is a matter of just 5 or 6 minutes.
  • Note that you can use Primary and Secondary at your convenience...so use them accordingly.

[*] here I suppose you have Primary and Secondary Flash Areas with the same software and default boot Flash Area is the Primary...so copying into Secondary is a way to stay on the safe side (you need to tell the switch to boot on Secondary otherwise it will boot from Default = Primary)...so you have a Plan B in case something will go wrong and you need to force a reboot to return on previous software version (which is still on the Primary Flash Area)...all this approach can be conveniently inverted if the Secondary is your Default Boot.

[**] Software and BootROM versions: check them with usual show version and show flash commands.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
C0LdWir3
Advisor

You can update from the WebUI.

Best Regards