New Discussion

Upgrade Firmenware HP5406rzl

SOLVED
Go to solution
pitcare
Occasional Visitor

Upgrade Firmenware HP5406rzl

Hello, 

hope anyone can help me. I will update our hp5406rzl with firmenware KB.15.17.0007, ROM KB.15.01.0001 to the newest version. This is KB.16.070002.  I would like to do it over http. Can i directly update to this version, or must i do a intermediate step? 

How long is the downtime by update, musst i shutdown all systems that work over ethernet, for example my esxfarm ? 

Thanks for answers, regards

Stefan

7 REPLIES 7
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Upgrade Firmenware HP5406rzl

Upgrading from KB.15.17 to KB.16.07 doesn't require any mandatory interim update steps BUT...since your KB.15.17.0007 is using the old BootROM KB.15.01.0001 version then almost any upgrade path to a newer Software version - such as KB.16.07 - will impose you an update of BootROM too.

KB.16.07.0002 uses BootROM KB.16.01.0006: it means that BootROM KB.15.01.0001 will be updated first to latest BootROM KB.16.01.0006 - and this will be the very first reboot - and only then - during a second Switch reboot - the software will be upgraded from KB.15.17.0007 to desired KB.16.07.0002.

So you need to plan a downtime of some minutes (probably less than 10 minutes from start to end).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
pitcare
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the information. 

The BootROM update is includet in the swi. file from 16.07. Downtime from 10 minutes, so i musst shutdown my systems.

It was good that I asked

Regards

Stefan

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yes, ProVision (now rebranded into ArubaOS-Switch) based operating system software image embeds the BootROM image into released SWI files so the update will generally require you just two commands: transfer/load SWI file into Secondary Flash partition and, once done, instruct the Switch to perform the next boot using that flash image.

Are you running with one or two MMs?

I'm not an HPE Employee
pitcare
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your support.

Yes, i have two MMs. 

Does it matter which one i am  first update?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Well...yes: the update procedure will require you check few things about MMs Redudancy BEFORE you start...and learn how to proceed because - probably - you have NonStop Switching enabled (TBV) as MMs redundacy method.

I'm not an HPE Employee
pitcare
Occasional Visitor

Do you know if there a howto or knowlegde base for this ? i canot find this in the documents.

sw00-core# show redundancy

Configured Mode: Nonstop Switching
Current Mode : Nonstop Switching

Rapid Switchover Stale Timer : 90
Failovers : 0
Last Failover :

Slot Module Description State SW Version Boot Image
---- ---------------------------------------- -------- ------------- ----------
MM1 HP J9827A Management Module 5400Rzl2 Active KB.15.17.0007 Primary
MM2 HP J9827A Management Module 5400Rzl2 Standby KB.15.17.0007 Primary

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Well...official guides about Configuration and Management of Aruba 5400R zl2 will explain how to manage software updates when NonStop switching is enabled.

Personally I did a copy&paste work from various sources and prepared a checklist to follow when such update is required with the minimum downtime possible (updating Secondary Flash on MM1 AMM, this will synch MM2 SMM Secondary, do a redundancy switchover from MM1 AMM to updated MM2 SMM that will become the new updated MM2 AMM).Aruba_5400R_zl2_Redundant_MMs_software_update_procedure.png

I'm not an HPE Employee