1751714 Members
5442 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN issues connecting ProCurve 2530-POE to Dell 6224F

ToddT
Visitor

VLAN issues connecting ProCurve 2530-POE to Dell 6224F

I have a mix of Dell PowerConnect and HP ProCurve switches on the network.  We have various VLANs setup and this has been working fine for some time.  Our current HP switches are Procurve 2520g-POE.  I recently purchased some HP 2530g-POE+ since the 2520 is being phased out.  I am trying to configure the 2530 exactly as the 2520s are configured.  So far I have had no luck getting VLANs passed on to the 2530. 

This is the setup - The Dell 6224 switch is the main switch in this building which feeds a number of other switches (including some HP 2520s).  On the Dell the ports that connect to other switches are setup as "Trunk" ports, with each of the VLANs set as "Tagged" on those ports.  This setup works fine with each other switch type except the 2530. 

In the specific instance I am having a problem with, port 21 on the DEll is connected to port 24 on the HP 2530.  Port 21 on the Dell is setup as a "Trunk" port with VLANs 4, 12, 15 set as "Tagged".  On the HP, port 24 has VLANs 4, 12, 15 set as "Tagged".  I have a WAP connected to port 13 on the HP.  I have VLAN 15 set as "Untagged" on port 13.  The WAP is not functioning becuase it cannot see VLAN15.   

Can anyone think of something I am missing.  Like I stated earlier we have been using this setup/config with HP 2520s for a long time.  What is different on the 2530 that I am missing?

Todd T

9 REPLIES 9
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

It doesn't sound like you have VLAN issues.

Can the switches see each other? (Show lldp neighb, etc...)

Make the switch use VLAN 15 as its management VLAN and give it an IP address in VLAN 15 - can it ping other VLAN15 devices?

Can the WAP work if you put it in a VLAN15 untagged port on the Dell?

ToddT
Visitor

The WAP works fine on the Dell 6224 using a port configured "Untagged" on VLAN 15. The only way I have been able to get to work on the HP switch is to set the link port on the Dell to Untagged VLAN 15. This makes the entire HP switch VLAN 15. I need the other VLANs available also.

I can get the 2 switches to "talk" to one another. However something is missing/wrong in the either the port or VLAN setup. I cannot get multiple VLANs active on the HP. It works fine on the 2520 but doesn't work on the 2530. I'm pretty sure the config on the Dell is correct. I think the issue is with the 2530 config.
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

If I were you, I would start the link between switches from scratch: get rid of all link aggregation and VLAN config on both switches and then connect them using one link which has VLAN 15 tagged on it. Configure link aggregation later, after you have the VLANs working properly.

ToddT
Visitor

Thanks for your reply.  There may be some confusion in how I described what I'm trying to accomplish.  I am not doing any link aggregation.  Just a single link between switches. 

I have "started over" 3 times now with the same results.  I have reset both switches back to factory defaults 3 times - no luck. 

On my main Dell 6224 switch, I have one port (#21) connected to port #24 on my HP 2530 switch.  Port 21 on the Dell is configured as a "trunk" port with all VLANs tagged.  Port 24 on the HP also has all VLANs set as "Tagged."  When I set any of the ports on the HP as "Untagged" for any of the VLANs they do not work. 

For some reason, the VLANs are not getting passed properly to the HP 2530.  I'm completely stumped.  Like I said earlier this is the exact config I'm using with HP 2520 switches and it works perfect.  I connected a HP 2520 to the same Dell 6224 and it works. 

ToddT
Visitor

I was finally able to get this working.  It was an issue with the default VLAN.

Thanks for the input. 

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ToddT,

Glad to hear it's solved. It would be great if you could document the steps you took to solve it so that anyone else who comes along later can find your solution.
Regards,
Paul
sdepotman

Yes we have a similar situation.   Spent several hours with HP tech support and still do not have a resolution.   We would very much like to hear your resolution and see if it applies to our issue.   Thank you!

DWarF555

What was the fix? I'm currently having the same issue.

pvrmza

ProCurve 2530-POE only support STP..... no RSTP