New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
switchstacking
Occasional Contributor

VLAN

Hi,

I have a question in VLAN.  4 hp 2910al switches that i am going to implement in one of our building with 4 floors on . ! each managable switch (2910al) will come in each floor. As far as i know in vlan setup is that to have one main core switch ( switch that is connected to the main)  and all the vlans we assign in it ( vlan gateway will be in it ).  all the other switcheswill have vlans on it but no ip address . my question is .. is it possible to split this. different switches have vlan gateways on that particular switches .if yes how ?

can anyone please help me in this .

8 REPLIES 8
gauravmodel
Occasional Visitor

Hi I have created a VLAN and when i try to delete it , it gives the message that unable to delete management vlan tell me how to delete it ????

gauravmodel
Occasional Visitor

hi i didnot get any of the reply yet if any body can help me ????

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

guaravmodel: Please start a new thread if you have a different question.
Regards,
Paul
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

switchstacking: Yes, you can set up each switch as a gateway for its own VLANs.  Probably the easiest way to do this is connect the switches together on a VLAN dedicated to the backbone, add an IP address for each switch on the backbone, and on the VLANs you want it to route on, then turn on routing on each switch.

Any combination of routing and switching can be done based on your needs.  It really depends on how you want to set it up.

I recommend looking into GVRP if you want the same VLAN on multiple switches.

Regards,
Paul
switchstacking
Occasional Contributor

thanks  for your advice,

now i have a new query that . i asssigned vlans on  2 switches one vlan (V100) is the route between switches enabled router rip. activated ip rip in the vlan 100( 10.4.100.0/24 ) . intervlan communication is 100% suuccessfull except the fact that my devices are not getting ip from DHCP..

i explain you the current setup

switch1 and switch 2 . routing rip . switch 1 is connected to the main with a vlan (v99) . vlan 99 has the same range of ip withe the main (192.168.14.199/24). as our main network is with  192.168.14.0/24 address. i gave ip helper -adrress to each vlan (192.168.14.2) . no default route (0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.14.1) assigned bcoz dynamic routing ( RIP) is there isnt it.

still my devices are not getting ip from DHCP. i can ping the dhcp from the switch and the main gateway.

please help me with a solution .

thanks,

RussellH
Occasional Advisor

Have you configured a new DHCP scope on the server for the new VLAN?

Each new VLAN will need a dedicated subnet range.

You could configure a workstation with static details to verify all routing is correct from a client perspective.

switchstacking
Occasional Contributor

hi thanks for the reply,

yes i created scopes in the dhcp and they all are activated. now somehow i managed to get the devices ip address from the dhcp. have trouble with new things now which is that the vlan devices cannot ping into external devices.

any idea why is it so ?

really appretiated your reply

RussellH
Occasional Advisor

Sounds like DHCP is not allocating the correct default gateway for this VLAN.

It needs to be the VLAN interface IP address.