5723 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

VSF 5400r

MMOTT
Visitor

VSF 5400r

Hello,
If I create a VSF using two 5406r's (ensuring correct v3 modules, 10Gb interfaces, s/w level) does the VSF need to be the entire chassis?  I would like to create a VSF only for one module on each chassis.  The idea being our ESX environment can then have NIC1 to VSF member 1 & NIC2 to VSF member 2.  I of course could also dual link access switches to VSF but the LAN environment is small so everything generally collapses back to the existing core 5406.  We do support several VPN sites so avaialbility of the server farm is critical so I am looking at strengthning the core switching structure. All other modules/ports could be for various VLANs ie PCs, PRTs, wrls, VoIP.  

Any issues with creating VSF in this fashion?

Cheers,
~M

2 REPLIES 2
Marcus J
Frequent Advisor

Re: VSF 5400r

VSF virtualises two 5406R or 5412R chassies to one logical unit... must be same type. 

Your other option would be just to use distributed trunking, then you still have two separate chassies to manage and use traditional way to solve L3 redundancy.

Im using VSF on our latest deployment on two 5412R, works great and simlipifies a lot when building redundant datacenters.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: VSF 5400r

@MMOTT wrote: If I create a VSF using two 5406r's (ensuring correct v3 modules, 10Gb interfaces, s/w level) does the VSF need to be the entire chassis?

Yes, it does. Aruba VSF is a chassis virtualization technology. It operates creating a virtual backplane (so the backplanes are shared) across all chassis part of VSF. 

@MMOTT wrote:
 I would like to create a VSF only for one module on each chassis.

You can't.

As you already undestood, the Aruba VSF is a chassis virtualization technology, not a chassis partitioning technology (I suspect chassis partitioning features, eventually coupled with IRF for chassis virtualization, can be found on some HPE FlexNetwork switches supporting Multitenant Device Context - MDC - eventually deployed with or without IRF).

We have Aruba VSF with two Aruba 5406R zl2, all LACP IEEE 802.3ad links work flawlessly...the only issue we have is that our license of VMware vSphere doesn't let us to use vDS (we are forced to use vSS) so our VMware infrastructure - actually - can't benefit of being connected to our VSF using LACP (it's a real shame).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner