New Discussion юеВ

Re: logging SSH 00641

SOLVED
Go to solution
rmedeiros
Occasional Advisor

logging SSH 00641

I have a bunch of switches reporting warning messages to iMC as it follows:

W 07/24/19 11:33:18 00641 ssh: AM1: read error Connection reset by peer, session aborted

Platform 5412Rzl2, software revision KB.16.08.0001

Any help? 

6 REPLIES 6
jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

That means an SSH connection to your switch was "reset"... perhaps it aborted or exited incorrectly.

For example see here where a python ssh plugin could cause this: https://github.com/ktbyers/netmiko/issues/346

It could also be some software that logs into the CLI of your switches automatically, like an NMS... but either way it is not an issue with the switch itself.

On the switch CLI, you can check the output of "show session-list" to help you identify the IP, if it is currently logged in or the session still exists.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
rmedeiros
Occasional Advisor

Hi Justin,

Thanks for this.

I understand that isn't a problem with the switch, but is flooding the iMC alarms and maps. 

When I do "show session-list" I got my session and the console session, nothing more apart than this. 

I've been looking for the same problem online but didn't find anything.

Cheers.

jguse
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

If you are using IMC, which version exactly (eg. 7.3 E0703, which is the latest version)?

It's been a long time since I've seen this, but I vaguely recall an issue with IMC improperly closing SSH sessions and potentially triggering such a message from ProCurve/ArubaOS.

Digging through my archive, I found it - IMC 7.3 E0506P03 Auto Backups were failing due to an adapter (IMC script) issue, which triggered this error message on the switches.

Quote: "The problem has been resolved by introducing a wait/timeout in the tcl-script (will be implemented in a next version of the software) "

So if you are running a version like 7.3 E0605 and later, you should not be seeing this issue, unless it has a different root cause. If so, please look through your IMC configurations, to see if there are any tasks that it runs when the warning appears on the switch. Some features that use CLI include ACL Management, Configuration Backup/Restore, Software Deployment and Backup, and a few more.

PS. IMC Standard downloads link: https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JG747AAE

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
rmedeiros
Occasional Advisor

I will upgrade the iMC version here, i'm under the version that you mentioned and let you know.

thanks!

HornAlum
Occasional Contributor

I'm running 7.3 E703 and I also see this error. seems to coincide with a backup job. However, this is only happening on the newer 5412R switches. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the older, 5412 zl2's

rmedeiros
Occasional Advisor

Exactly, good observation.

I got messages from 54XXR and 2530, but not from previous 54XX.