6021 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

loss of link in particular ports 2910

peyushzach
Frequent Advisor

loss of link in particular ports 2910

Hi,

I have costant complaint recieved from a particular department that they cannot connect to network

what i found is they cannot recieve IP .. Network drop .. after it is being constantly reported now

i Checked the 2910 Sitch GUI And found in this particular 3 ports all the time its showing loss of link ..

its port 40,42 and 43.

From this 3 ports it is directly connected to a 2510 switch and from that switch all the pc's in that room is connected. They are all in a paticular VLAN. 10.2.6.1

No where in the switch saying what is the reason for this loss of link .. does anyone have any idea why is this happening please ?

Error:

loss of link 10-jan-2012 12:00:52   lost connection to multiple devices on port: 42.

please help

1 REPLY 1
krbre
Occasional Advisor

Re: loss of link in particular ports 2910

Loss of link is most likely a media issue but could be related to a bug. If Cat5e or Cat6 cables are used and are known to be good then the next thing to check would be the settings for both switches. I could assume you have the ports set to auto on both ends. You refer to three (3) ports but report loss of link on port 42. Did you make a three port trunk on the 2910 to the 2510 for the path? The best thing you could do is obtain a show tech all capture from both switches and then open a trouble ticket with support. Once they have the STA info from both switches they can see code used and configurations for validation of the setup. If the configs in place are both valid and the cables are certified and known good then maybe it is a bug that is responsible for the behavior. There is not sufficient information via the forum to tell you much more.