5617 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

network flooding during SMB copy

Olivier_1968
Occasional Contributor

network flooding during SMB copy

Hello All,

Let me describe my network, there is a switch "A" (2650) with a "source" server (w2K3) connected on port 1, there is another switch "B" (2824)  with a "destination" server connected on port 1, port 2 is connected to another switch "C" 2650 where Desktop are connected, port 3 is connected to another switch"D"  2650 where desktop are connected. Switch A and B are connected together through a 2Gb trunk.

I use a software called Acronis which give you the possibility to boot your server from a CD and allow you to restore a backup stored on another server (the boot cd is based on a linux boot).

So the goal is to boot my server "destination" from Acronis CD and to restore a backup from "source" server, it seems working fine but after around 9gb transfered from "source" to "destination" the network is completly flooded by packet coming from backup restoration from source to destination, even a desktop connected to a switch C or D is completly flooded, I ran wireshark from a desktop connected to switch C and I saw a huge number a packet coming from "source" to "destination" it was not mutlicast, broadcast or unicast packet , just TCP packet.

I tried it many time and every time it's the same probleme, i tried a windows big file copy beetween server "source" and "destination" and it work perfectly no network flooding.

According to Acronis technical team the restoration based on linux Cd boot is a Samba copy throught SMB.

If anyone has an idea to stop this network flood i will be really happy !!!! 

Thanks in advance

Olivier

1 REPLY 1
Helper
Valued Contributor

Re: network flooding during SMB copy

Hi,

Can you give us the description of the traffic seen in wireshark ?

From server to client and vice-versa

Mac@src --- Mac@dst

IP@src --- IP@dst

Protocol version

TCPportSRC --- TCPportDST

Is it working on the same switch ? 2650 then 2824 ?

Is it working with a wire directly connected between the server and client ?

Is the MAC src and dst are present in the mac adress table of each switchs (front-panel port of server and client, then inter-switch links) ?

Did you saw any counters (CRC, runt, etc.)  issue on the Front-panel of server/client and ISL links ?

Can you verify the logs of your devices for a particular message ?

Is your switchs firmwares are up-to-date ?

Bye.