New Discussion

procurve help for cisco guy

SOLVED
Go to solution
nsnidanko
Occasional Advisor

procurve help for cisco guy

Hi All,

I am getting abit confused by procurve terminology (cisco trunk vs procurve truck).... I have 2 hp procurve switches both have Untagged ports in two different vlans(vlan1 as primary and vlan2).

What do I have to configure link between these switches to allow untagged data from both vlans data to flow between these switches. Not to confuse inter-vlan communication, I need to allow the following:

device connected to untagged port in vlan1 on switch1 to communicate with device connected to untagged port in vlan1 on switch2

device connected to untagged port in vlan2 on switch1 to communicate with device connected to untagged port in vlan2 on switch2

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: procurve help for cisco guy

In order to move 2 vlans of traffic across a single link, you need to "tag" the port between each switch into each vlan:

example:

sw1                                        sw2

port 1 < --link -------->port1

port 2 client1                    port 2 client 1

port 3 client2                    port 3 client2

client1 network = vlan  1

client2 network = vlan 2

sw1 & sw 2 config commands:

ProVision(config)# vlan 1 tag 1

ProVision(config)# vlan 2 tag 1

ProVision(config)# vlan 2 untag 3

(all ports are untag by default in vlan1)

This makes port1 of each carry both vlan1 & vlan2, and then client1 on each switch are in the same vlan/broadcast domain and same for client2 on each switch in a different vlan/broadcast domain.

Another good source of info, the HP Networking and Cisco CLI Reference Guide. A free CLI ref of ProVision, Comware5, and Cisco in side-by-side comparison. Not all inclusive, but alot of the "daily" config needs.  ....and it's free!

Also a description of "trunk" and "tag" and what do these terms mean on each platoform.

https://h30590.www3.hp.com/product/HP+Networking+and+Cisco+CLI+Reference+Guide-PDF-6997

hth...Jeff

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

That HP & Cisco CLI reference is worth its weight in gold.
Regards,
Paul
Naz Snidanko

That manual is fantastic! Thanks for the explanation. I have another question:

Do I have to leave primary vlan (vlan1 in the example) as untagged for STP BPDU data (similiar to cisco's trunk native vlan) So for example

port 1 will be configured as following:

ProVision(config)# vlan 1 untag 1

ProVision(config)# vlan 2 tag 1

Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

You can tag the physical link between switches into all vlans...that is my preferred method...and STP pkts will pass ok.

But, if you are connecting between a Cisco and an HP, then I think you need to leave the port untagged in vlan1 so it can pass STP between brands (seems like Cisco can't pass STP across an 802.1Q link (trunk in Cisco speak, tag in HP))...

hth...Jeff