Re: switch stacking

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bijukiv
Advisor

switch stacking

Hi
Good evening
I have 3 switches HP 2920-48G (J9729A) . These switches are connected with module HP 2920-2 port stacking module.(9733A).

I need to know how to connect these 3 switches with stacking cable. What is the configuration to connect stacking cable.
5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you look at Aruba 2920 Product Documentation page here, you will find the very useful Aruba 2920 Switch Series Stacking Guide Technical Paper here.

With three stackable Switch members, the recommended Stacking Topology is Ring.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Bijukiv
Advisor

hi

thanks for the documents. let me do the stacking and update you

Similiar i can do the stacking for HP 5406 R . we have two 5406R switch. with stacking sfp cable. will this stacking as redundancy ?

Regards

Biju

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No (regarding the similarity between Backplane Stacking and VSF), not the same way.

IMHO neither with Aruba 2920 Backplane Stacking nor when you deploy a VSF you have redundancy globally (both technologies provide a sort of redundancy in themseves)...if you miss to bring into the picture you need something like Distributed Trunking from your other edge Switches or Servers to the Backplane Stack/VSF.

The Aruba 5400R zl2 admits - with very clear restrictions - the deployment of VSF (Virtual Switching Framework) that is a sort of Frontplane Stacking (only involving 10G or 40G ports so forget about simple SFP, you need at least SFP+) as opposed to the Backplane Stacking you do on Aruba 2920 Switches.

We discussed about the redundancy concept (IMHO doing Front/Back-plane Stacking doesn't necessarily mean doing something redundant...but your mileage may vary) here yet, isn't it?

So what do you think about?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Bijukiv
Advisor

hi

good evening

the technical documents is good. the switch stacking is working. i tried the ring topology.

thanks for the solutions

REgards

Biju

meobeo208
Occasional Visitor

Hi Parnassus!

I have 3 HP 5412 switches and I want to stack them together. According to the material I read, this is impossible. So is there any other way?

Thank you.