New Discussion

trunk ports and high availability

SOLVED
Go to solution
meirhasin
Advisor

trunk ports and high availability

hello

We are going to install new HP procurve 8212 in our company.
HP 8212 have a lot of modules, so far we have 2 HP 5406 that give us high availability, they are working with VRRP.
So far we have connected our access switches(hp 2510) with two ports, one to the primary backbone(5406) and the other port to the backup backbone, and one of the ports was blocked by spanning tree.
On the hp 8212 we are going to connect two port from every switch, each port to different module(e.x port 47 from 2510 to port A1 in 8212, port 48 from 2510 to port B1 in 8212), this way we got high availability, if on port or one module are gone,
We have the other port and module.
Until now everything seems to be good, but my question is: we are going to connect two ports with trunk between them, for better performance, but it will give me high availability?
I mean on HP switches that have trunk connection, when one ports goes down, the switches are “know” to resume the connection on 1 port until the other port back to life?
And generally, you think that the decision to set trunk ports instead of 2 port with spanning tree its good decision? (on view of performance and especially high availability).

Thank you!

Regards,
Meir.H
CCNA
MCITP
2 REPLIES 2
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: trunk ports and high availability

You would definitely use a trunk/etherchannel between the two switches rather then two separate links with STP blocking one of them. With a LACP trunk you'll get twice the bandwidth and the same high availability.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

meirhasin
Advisor

Re: trunk ports and high availability

thank you!
Regards,
Meir.H
CCNA